The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 23 hours and nothing has happened...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 08:44 PM   #11
UdderJuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepking
That should not have made a difference...I often have a lot of bubbles due to the aeration as you pour the wort into the fermentor. I will be interested to hear how your taste test goes...I would bet that your fermentation just went very quickly. Your temp is fine and it sounds like your aeration was good too. You may notice some additional slight bubbling in the fermenter over the next few days too.
One other thing I did different from the Mr Beer instructions...

I disolved the booster in my pot of water, brought that to a boil, then I added the wort and brought that to a boil becasue I read that boiling their worts releasses extra flavor from the malt and hops. I didnt boil it for very long, just long enough for it to foam up, then I took it off the heat and cooled the wort in a sink full of water. The water I had in the fermenter was cold spring water I had in the fridge so I dumped my wort in and stirred it all up. I'd say the wort in the fermenter was 73 or so when I pitched.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
sweepking
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdderJuice
One other thing I did different from the Mr Beer instructions...

I disolved the booster in my pot of water, brought that to a boil, then I added the wort and brought that to a boil becasue I read that boiling their worts releasses extra flavor from the malt and hops. I didnt boil it for very long, just long enough for it to foam up, then I took it off the heat and cooled the wort in a sink full of water. The water I had in the fermenter was cold spring water I had in the fridge so I dumped my wort in and stirred it all up. I'd say the wort in the fermenter was 73 or so when I pitched.

I do the same procedure with no problems.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
UdderJuice
Recipes 

Well I just go home. Im pushing 48 hours and theres no change. I took a little sip and I can't say that the flavor reminded me of flat beer. It was more like flat cider. Not "bad" per se but not sweet either. Kind of sour. I tried to detect alcohol but couldn't really tell.

Upon closer inspection there are many peices of yeast that are just sitting on the bottom intact. They don't look gooy are anything like that. I shook the fermenter up real good and put it back into the cabinet. I think maybe the yeast was dead. There are no bubble rising to the surface at all.

I don't know if I should chuck this and try again with the nut brown or see it through to what I'm sure will be 8 quarts of pure ass.

Last edited by UdderJuice; 10-28-2004 at 11:02 PM.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:27 AM   #14
sweepking
Recipes 

Quote:
Well I just go home. Im pushing 48 hours and theres no change. I took a little sip and I can't say that the flavor reminded me of flat beer. It was more like flat cider. Not "bad" per se but not sweet either. Kind of sour. I tried to detect alcohol but couldn't really tell.

Upon closer inspection there are many peices of yeast that are just sitting on the bottom intact. They don't look gooy are anything like that. I shook the fermenter up real good and put it back into the cabinet. I think maybe the yeast was dead. There are no bubble rising to the surface at all.

I don't know if I should chuck this and try again with the nut brown or see it through to what I'm sure will be 8 quarts of pure ass.
The cider taste sounds like it is fermenting...I wouldn't toss it just yet. It will have a cidery taste, but mine tasted like a Coors or other light beer mixed with a little bit of cider. You gave it a good shake so give it a while. You could always pitch more yeast out of another can.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #15
UdderJuice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepking
The cider taste sounds like it is fermenting...I wouldn't toss it just yet. It will have a cidery taste, but mine tasted like a Coors or other light beer mixed with a little bit of cider. You gave it a good shake so give it a while. You could always pitch more yeast out of another can.
Here's the latest.

I shook the **** out of the keg last night and now there is what looks like a flim of intact yeast floating on the top.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #16
UdderJuice
Recipes 

Quote:
Here's the latest.

I shook the **** out of the keg last night and now there is what looks like a flim of intact yeast floating on the top.
Yippe!! Success!

I just came home for lunch and it seems that my angry shaking did the trick. The yeast is now rising off the surface and swirling around in the keg and I have a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch of foam on the surface. There is definitely some active fermentation going on now. I was temped to shake it some more would this be good, bad, make no difference?

Anyway, Im much happier now.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:31 PM   #17
sweepking
Recipes 

Quote:
Yippe!! Success!

I just came home for lunch and it seems that my angry shaking did the trick. The yeast is now rising off the surface and swirling around in the keg and I have a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch of foam on the surface. There is definitely some active fermentation going on now. I was temped to shake it some more would this be good, bad, make no difference?

That is great. Your first batch is on its way. I wouldn't shake it anymore...aeration after fermentation starts isn't a good thing according to most experts. My cold lager Wee Heavy won't stop fermenting...it is throwing off my brewing timeline for my Christmas ale!

Old 10-29-2004, 08:44 PM   #18
UdderJuice
Recipes 

Yeah I wanted to get a few batches under my belt and then try the X-mas brew to give as gifts but I dont know if I'll have enough time.

Since my brew technically didnt start fermenting till last night or this morning (which by the way I think what happened was my wort was too cool when I putched and it put the yeast into a dormant stage) should I let it ferment 7 days from today or just sort of watch it and bottle when the activity stops?

Old 10-29-2004, 08:51 PM   #19
sweepking
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah I wanted to get a few batches under my belt and then try the X-mas brew to give as gifts but I dont know if I'll have enough time.

Since my brew technically didnt start fermenting till last night or this morning (which by the way I think what happened was my wort was too cool when I putched and it put the yeast into a dormant stage) should I let it ferment 7 days from today or just sort of watch it and bottle when the activity stops?
You can't go wrong giving it a full 7 from today/when it really started. You should still have time to do the Christmas Ale too.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:21 AM   #20
Roy Boy

Recipes 

Quote:
Yippe!! Success!

Hehe, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard to do with homebrew! Like jump starting a car, and it actually worked, cool!

I was always told you should keep the brew as de-oxegenated as possible...if it's fermenting now, let it go!

Last edited by Roy Boy; 11-02-2004 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply