New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2 year bottle conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
TheTower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2 year bottle conditioning

So, long story short, my buddy went into the peace corps last month, and I'm "borrowing" his brewing equipment while he's gone. With the brews I've done, I've bottled one 22oz that I intend to save and give him a sampling of my work while he was gone. He'll be back in two years. Has anyone out there let beer condition this long? Or is there any reason to think they might hit a plateau and begin to sour with this process? I want to do this with every batch I make, so we're talking ales, blondes, wheats, porters, stouts and whatever else I might create in the next 2 years.

TreeTop Brewing

Primary:
Bottled: ESB, Belgian Pale, Belgian Dubbel, Pumpkin Ale, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Chile Pepper Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not speaking from experience, but my understanding is that at some point, especially with lower gravity beer, they won't be too pleasant any more. If you want to brew up something big, like a barleywine, that should hold for that long.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

It's going to really depend on the style and the recipe...Barleywines may not even come into their own for years and if properly stored may be good for decades.

A hefe on the other hand should be drunk really young..

I've tasted year old bottles of beer, and none of them had gone downhill either.

An IPA may lose it's hoppiness over that time, and be more like a pale ale, but an Imperial IPA may be perfect in two years..Any strong ales like Belgian Strongs, Barley Wines, Tripels, Dubbels, imperial Stouts, may just be coming into their own then...Stouts and Porters may be perfect in two years...

Really just about anything will hold up, except for stuff like heffes and wheats that are meant to be drunk young.

SO basically I wouldn't worry about it.....Just brew and stick stuff aside for him, the majority of it will be fine, if not awesome.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just drank a dry stout that was nearly a year old last night. It was very different than it was when it was fresh, but definitely not bad.

I say do it. If you save it and it's not good anymore by the time he gets back, what's really lost?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
I just drank a dry stout that was nearly a year old last night. It was very different than it was when it was fresh, but definitely not bad.

I say do it. If you save it and it's not good anymore by the time he gets back, what's really lost?
Especially if he's gonna get a bunch of bombers of different beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I broke into a case of beer that I had move around from house to house to storage over the span of 5 years and had some Irish Red that I did back in '02.

Very interesting sherry/malt notes and the hops where totally gone.

Brew something that will age gracefully and you'll be good to go. American Light Lager is not the style you want.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Perhaps start a brewing schedule with beers which will hold up best starting soonest and as the two year mark approaches slowly move down the scale towards pale ales and lighter beer?

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think it will be a good idea. I know that the wheats etc. and lighter ABV ones may not be great by then, but I bet they'll still be good.

Edit: way too late on the answer...

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
usurpers26
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

We just opened a bottle of "Eleven" (Weyerbacher - Triple IPA) on Saturday. The batch is from 2006 - it was fabulous. We have 4 left, so I'll report back next year when we open it again

Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
zimmzala
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
Perhaps start a brewing schedule with beers which will hold up best starting soonest and as the two year mark approaches slowly move down the scale towards pale ales and lighter beer?
That there is the best Idea. I opened a bottle of pilsner last fall that I brewed in 1994 and is was still good, it didn't taste like it did after i brewed it but still good.

Quick Reply