Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2 pot mash/sparge process

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
silver8ack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 pot mash/sparge process

I recently sold most of my brewing equipment due to space/financiql issues. I still have a 30qt turkey fryer set and a seperate 4 gallon pot.

I want to get back into brewing but I want to do 2.5 gallons batches. Don't try to convince me to do 5 since it's the Same work. I know all that and I have my reasons.

Anyway, I was thinking that I could mash in my 4 gallon pot with a grain bag. I would then heat my sparge water in my boil pot. At the end of the mash I would dunk the grain bag in the sparge water for ten minutes or so. Then take the bag out and pour the original mash liquid into the boil pot and proceed.

Do you think this will work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yes, it will work just fine. Good plan.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

That should work OK. Your efficiency may not be the best, but so what?

Sounds like a good way to make the best of the equipment you've got, I say go for it.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Nugu
Recipes 

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-90132/

Deathbrewer's guide covers it pretty well, with pictures. You can expect upwards of 70-80% efficiency if you leave the grains to soak in the second pot 10+ minutes.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
silver8ack
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks everyone. I spent a lot of money on equipment before and I have another name on here, but I decided to make a new one after I had to sell most of my stuff. I'm a reborn brewer...back to the basics, except I will still be all grain

Quick Reply