Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2 extra weeks on yeast cake make a tastable difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
njale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 2 extra weeks on yeast cake make a tastable difference?

In a dark beer like a stout....do you think a human can taste the difference in a 2week primary vs a 4week primary?

As in keg the beer after 2 weeks instead of waiting 4 weeks than keg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 901 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 360

I sure can and I can taste the difference in a stout that spent 8 weeks in the primary instead of 2 or 4. The difference to me is how quickly it matures for good drinking. By the time it has been in the bottle for 6 months, that difference is mostly gone though as it will mature in the bottle but much slower. It would be particularly noticeable if you keg and chill right away as the maturing process is chemical/biological and when you chill it the maturing process nearly stops.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
njale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

bump?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
LaFinDuMonde
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Every beer is different, but for me: yes. I usually let my beers stay in the primary for 3-4 weeks; depending on style, gravity, etc. I typically make rather large beers, so 4 weeks works for me. If you're making a smaller beer (whether if it's 'dark' or not) 2 weeks can work just fine.

-Mike

Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

You mean can I tell the difference between a beer with a gut load of fusel alcohol, phenols, diacetyl and acetylaldehyde and one that tastes good? Yep.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

taking it off after 2 instead of four, ur gonna have more byproducts that the yeast haven't cleaned up. To the point that i def think someone with a decent palette would recognize. Some stouts can go to keg in as little as ten days. I haven't done it but ive read about it here and elsewhere even from master brewers who went pro.

Personally i'd rather let it stay on the cake at least three weeks just to clean up and then let it age for a bit.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Quaffman
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I still don't understand how some people can keg after 10 days and say it tastes good shortly thereafter. Personally I have tested this and can definitely tell a difference leaving it in for 3-4 weeks. Anything shorter seems to need much more time to mature. And as the previous poster stated, once it's cold, it takes longer to mature. However, cold conditioning in the keg definitely helps drop out g the remaining particulate matter.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5155 Times on 3718 Posts
Likes Given: 1081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffman View Post
I still don't understand how some people can keg after 10 days and say it tastes good shortly thereafter. Personally I have tested this and can definitely tell a difference leaving it in for 3-4 weeks. Anything shorter seems to need much more time to mature. And as the previous poster stated, once it's cold, it takes longer to mature. However, cold conditioning in the keg definitely helps drop out g the remaining particulate matter.
I've also tested it- and prefer the flavor of a shorter (10-14 days) primary. A well made beer doesn't take weeks and weeks on the trub to "clean up".

Some people prefer the flavor of beers left on the yeast for 3-4 weeks (or longer), but I prefer a "cleaner" flavor. I'd suggest to anybody to try it. Make a batch, and split it in half. Leave one in the fermenter for 10 days and package when clear, and leave one in the fermenter for 4 weeks and package. Taste them side by side and see if you notice a difference, and if you do, which one you prefer. I prefer the shorter time in the fermenter.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Quaffman
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

So do you cold crash your beers once signs of fermentation are complete? I was doing that but think I'll stop and try to keg after 10 days. I've got a chocolate hazelnut porter that's been in primary for 6 days now and am wondering if I should keg it at 10 days or let it sit for another 2 weeks.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5155 Times on 3718 Posts
Likes Given: 1081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffman View Post
So do you cold crash your beers once signs of fermentation are complete? I was doing that but think I'll stop and try to keg after 10 days. I've got a chocolate hazelnut porter that's been in primary for 6 days now and am wondering if I should keg it at 10 days or let it sit for another 2 weeks.
For most ales, I wait until signs of fermentation are complete (usually about day 5-7ish), then wait about three more days (or so) and check the SG. I do that to make sure it's finished, not stuck, and to check clarity. If the beer is starting to clear or not clear, I wait a few more days before kegging. If it's totally done and it's clear, I package or dryhop at that time (if it's to be dryhopped).

I don't think I've ever cold crashed in the fermenter, but I would if the beer wasn't clear by about day 15-20 probably.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply