New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2 Basic questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
skbohler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 Basic questions

Hi everyone,

1) I often use pelletized hops in the boil. What are some good techniques or equipment for straining the hop slurry out when going from the boil to the fermenter? It seems to clog anything I use with too small holes.

2) I do extract brewing, and at the end I often have to add at least a gallon of water to the fermenter to bring it up to the 5 gallon mark. Should I be worried about that extra water being non-sterilized?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1) A 5 gallon paint strainer bag suspended over the boiling wort works great as a hop bag, (search "hop bag"). You can also just put one over the end of your siphon when transferring, (do you siphon), or put the bag in a 5 gal bucket and dump your wort into that, then remove the bag.

2) Yes. Be afraid. You should sterilize top-up water, or use distilled or spring water from a jug. To sterilize top-up water, boil it.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Whut
.--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.- . . .--. / ..- .--.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1614 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 8530

Another tip is take a sterilized utensil and whirlpool (meaning stir it really fast in a circle) the wort before transferring out. This will cause all hop matter to form a cone in the middle. You'll then get less trub in your fermenter.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
skbohler
Recipes 

Thank you!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
ckloecker
Recipes 

I picked up a couple of fine straining bags. Got mine from NorthernBrewer.com. They have a drawstring and are re-useable. I was a little worried about lower utilization, but that has not been a problem. This way all of the vegetation from the hops is contained in the bags. I just retrieve them at the end of boil and let them drain back into the kettle. Cleanup is fast and easy, as long a you don't over-do-it with the knot on the drawstring.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Wrathbone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As far as top-off water goes, I always buy a couple gallons of spring water for this purpose. I keep them cold, so when I top off the wort it brings the temp down substantially as well. I've never had an issue.

On Deck:
Primary- Reboot Pale
Secondary-
Kegged/Aging-
On Tap- Experimental Pumpkin Wheat-ish

Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
twocylndr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I boil my top off water the day before brewday; let it sit covered on my unheated enclosed porch over night.

I never worry about the pelletized hops in my primary fermentor. They will settle out in several days and then I avoid the slurry when I rack into the secondary.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Bonnevillain
Recipes 

If you're worried, boil your water. Neither spring water nor distilled water is sterile. Spring water is essentially tap water; distilled is generally cleaner, but there is no guarantee it doesn't contain contaminants.

If you're okay with assuming the risk of an infected batch, you might as well keep using tap water rather than spending $ on spring water. If you want to prevent infections as much as possible, boil.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
Modiano
Recipes 

1) i used to use hop bags with very good results, but i still had a good bit of coagulated protein trub. cooling your wort and then whirlpooling works great to settle out hop matter and coagulated proteins. give it a really good swirl and let it sit for 20-30min. then just siphon into your fermenter.

2) i do a full boil and end up topping off to the 5gal mark with tap water on about 1/2 of my batches. never had a problem with infection or clorinated taste. if i were to boil my "top off water", my motivation would be to remove clorine, but since i never have to use more than 1/2gal of tap, i never worry about it. since you do extract and probably top off with 2-3gallons, you may want to pre-boil to remove clorine. some extract brewers will use a bag of ice for the dual purpose of cooling/topping off. i used bagged ice for my first couple partial mash batches with no problem, but your mileage may vary

Primary #1: Modiano Wheat
Primary #2: London Porter
Secondary #1: Oops American Pale Ale
Secondary #2: La Fin du Monde
Bottled: Rauchbier all gone :(
Kegged: Accepting donations for equipment
Next Brews: Modiano Wheat, Rauchbier, Brown Ale

Last edited by Modiano; 10-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Even 'sanitized' things are not 'sterile'. They are merely sanitary. I highly doubt that anyone here is really running a sterile brew house. Even things that are sanitized have contaminants-- those contaminants are merely in such small amounts that they are not significant.

Many many people (I'm willing to bet that most do) use standard potable water from a tap or bottle to top off partial boils. While there is a chance of contaminants it is minimal. A half gallon of clean top off water followed by a solid rapid ferment is really not likely to introduce a significant infection.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Quick Reply