Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2.5 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
sticky1861
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2.5 gallon batches

I have a 6 gallon glass carboy I use for my 5 gallon batches, but I was wanting to get into doing half batches to try and test some recipes.

Does fermenting a half batch in my larger fermemter increase my chances of the wort getting infected? Has anyone had any issues doing this? Or should I stop being cheap and buy a smaller fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Me personally it's a worry. I don't go beyond a 5 gallon for 2.5 gallon batches, but even then I'm uncomfortable and prefer using 3 gallon vessels for my small batches, even my old Mr beer keg.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

I've done 3 gal batches in 5 gal Better Bottles, but never 2.5 in a 6. I'm guessing it would be ok. My advice would be to never remove the bung or airlock untill you're ready to bottle, and don't let it sit around with that much headspace for too long after fermentation is over. Meanwhile, maybe you can look in to getting something smaller to ferment in.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have done this plenty of times. There are actually more benefits than worries/costs to ferment a lesser amount of wort in a larger primary. CO2 is heavier than O2. And that extra headspace will create a denser, thicker layer of CO2. The added headspace will also dispel any worry of the beer overflowing. And lastly, you'll have a bunch of extra space for dryhopping with leafs if need be.

I don't see how risk of infection would be more or less with this method. Your only limit would be racking that small amount of beer to a large secondary. You don't want to do that for oxidation purposes. The volume of your secondary should be very close to your actual beer volume.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 4

2.5 is my standard batch size, and I always use 6-gallon pails. This method produces fine beer (so long as I can overcome my propensity to mess up somewhere else in the process). I suppose you would not want to age most beers in such an oversized pail for months on end, but your oversized glass carboy is probably going to admit less oxygen than a properly sized plastic bucket.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do 2.5 in a 6 all the time, no problems yet.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I also do a few 2.5's in a 6. Haven't had an issue yet (that was carboy caused ). I don't lift the bung, and I sanitize well. I imagine you could just have a longer primary if you really felt the need. The blanket of c02 generated should be sufficient to expel the o2 from the carboy within a few days, and as long as you don't play around with the thing with the bung off you should be fine. Just my opinion...

Hell, I have even no chilled a few 2.5's in a 6.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts

I like my 3gl carboy for my 2.5gl batches, it's nice and small so it takes up little room, is easier to carry around and clean out. I've seen others do small batches in larger carboys so you should be fine if you don't want to spend the extra bucks on another carboy.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 3g carboy and want to use it for secondary for my 2.5 batches but im to lazy to do secondary so it has not been used lol!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
I have a 3g carboy and want to use it for secondary for my 2.5 batches but im to lazy to do secondary so it has not been used lol!
Use it as a primary for 2 gallon batches. If you don't... I demand you send it to me, so I can!!

Quick Reply