Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2.5 Gallon Batch Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll agree with the majority (albeit not what you were asking about). Since a 5g batch is so darn small, and kits are just begging to be 5g batches, why not just do it?

If you're out of the game and are teaching a newbie, buying a brewer's best type kit is the perfect start to get back into it. Not to mention that 2 cases goes really fast, even if you only drink with your friend.

My first batch put out 2 cases, and after 3 weeks in the bottle I have about 8 beers left. I couldn't keep my hands off of them while they were bottle conditioning, so there's 3-4 bottles gone. I took 3-4 to a friend's house with me to share my new hobby. I gave another friend a 6-pack because he gave me a 6er of his first brew, and then we drank maybe 10 between my roommate and myself. Now I'm nearly out of beer and have to wait another month till my next batches are done.

No good reason to stay THAT small. Heck, after 3 batches of 5gal, I'm already wanting to go up to 10 gal just so I have enough to drink after handing out samples!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
anojones
Recipes 

Hi all- new to the forum, and back to AG brewing after a 3 year hiatus. I brew in 2.5 gallon batches (usually with a 4 gallon boil). I'm the only one drinking the beer and I like to have some variety- 5 gallons ends up being too much for me. I also like to make a day of it and brew two beers in the same session. My equipment (modified turkey fryers and a 5 gallon Gott) limits doing a full boil to end up with 5 gallons of beer, but I'm conisdering moving to 3 or 4 gallon batches. I use 3 gallon carboys for fermentaion- but am thinking of getting some 5 or 6 gallon Better Bottles. Recipe formulation is pretty easy with online recipe calculators or with the various software products. Does anyone have any thoughts on kegging 2.5 or 3 gallons in a 5 gallon corney? I figure it will take more CO2 to purge the headspace, but I'm hoping it would work otherwise. I just bought some inexpensive 5 gallon kegs, I've always bottled in the past and the 3 gallon kegs are too much $.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
Jeff Meyers
Recipes 

Check out the middle of the page linked below. It is a brief writeup on my 2.25 to 3 gallon pilot system.

http://www.sabrewers.org/meyersbrewery.htm

Quick Reply