Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 2.5 Gallon Batch Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
uploadjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2.5 Gallon Batch Equipment

About 5 years ago I brewed my first batch of beer. I brewed several more batches before moving away from all my brewing buddies. After telling a new friend that in the past I made my own beer he's been bugging me to brew up some beer. I still have all my old equipment for brewing 5 gallon batches, but we both agree that 2.5 or 3 gallon batches might be a better start for us.

I guess my question is what size primary and secondary should I be using for these smaller batches?

Also what should I be mindful of when adjusting a 5 gallon recipe to a smaller amount?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

If it's two of you, why not go a five gallon batch and split it up? That's only a case each.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
uploadjoe
Recipes 

Well we pretty much only drink beer when we are together.

-- Jeremy

Old 11-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I'm with the bird on this one, if you are drinking your beer a 5 gal. batch is really about as low as you need to go. I can understand experimenting with smaller batches but for a drinking beer 5 gal is the default.

But, you didn't ask for my opinion on your idea, just how to do it.

Smaller carboys and cornie kegs are available and just use the size you like. The recipes are all linear so you can simply multiply all the ingredients by .5 or .6 depending upon your batch size (2.5 or 3 gal. respectively)

I use beersmith and it is a huge help in defining ingredients and it has a scale function that will do all the math for you. This is a nice shortcut for converting recipes other folks post.

welcome back to brewing and good luck.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Well, that's your problem, son!

I'd get a couple carboys, 5 gallon for primary, 3 gallon for secondary, and do three-gallon batches. The five gives you plenty of room for fermentation, the 3 limits potential O2 exposure. If you decide that 3 gallons is too little, the 5 is perfect for the secondary, and you can use the 3 for a cider or a mead or something else like that.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It depends whether you want 2.5 gallon boils or 2.5 gallon primaries or 2.5 gallon bottled.

Just a few things to think about.

I'm pretty sure if you get into it you'll figure out for the same work you can have 5 gallon instead of 2.5 gallon.

I use 2,5 gallon for stuff I don't drink a lot of or if I want to trail a recipe or I just want to use some bits up.
I quite often skip secondary on 2.5's

Old 11-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
uploadjoe
Recipes 

Thanks Guys!

I am sure after a few batches we will step it up to 5 gallon batches once we get rolling again. The real key will be getting our freinds hooked on drinking up our latest brews. At that point 2 cases makes sense.

Now I just need to pull my gear out, figure out what I have, and what needs to be replaced.

-- Jeremy

Old 11-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

\Go for it.

If drinking it is the obstacle then you need help!!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I think I like orfy's suggestion best. A 5 or even 6 gallon primary fermenter won't hurt anything so just brew a couple batches that don't require secondary fermentation. This means you don't have to invest any more money into the hobby until you know which way you are going with it.

The only caveat is that a great way to get excellent initial results is to buy "ingredient kits" from online stores or your LHBS. I have purchased such kits from morebeer.com and they make 5 gallon batches. Going this route will greatly increase your chances of making excellent beer on your first batch which IMO will greatly increase the chance of keeping you buddy interested in the process.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Again, you didn't really want a debate, but I'm gonna suggest going right to 5gal batches. By the time you factor in those premature tastings, you'll be down to a case and a half. Then you'll want to send a couple to a couple friends, etc.

It's nice to brew a lot so that you accumilate a variety of stock. I have my 5th batch in primary right now and I'm disappointed that I only have a sixpack of my first batch left. When I have people over, I'd rather give them a 5-6 beer menu to choose from because not everyone likes IPA or Stouts, etc.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply