Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 1st Time Parti-gyle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Biscostew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 1st Time Parti-gyle Question

I plan on doing my first parti-gyle this weekend and have a question about the second runnings. My plan is to brew a wee heavy with an initial grain bill of about 26 lbs. Im going to be mashing with about 11.25 gal of water and according to beersmith I will be left with around 8.16 gal after the mash. I am not planning on doing a sparge.

For my second batch Im going to add about 1.75 lbs of brown malt and mash for 20 mins. My question is how much sparge water should I add to the second mash for the second beer? Should I plan for a 5 gallon batch or a full 10 gallon? Being this is my first time parti-gyle id rather air on the side of caution and not pick up a bunch of tannins in the second beer from over sparging.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Check out my blog Lionheart Brewing for homebrew recipes other beer related thoughts or follow me on twitter @LionheartBeer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply