Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 1 minute and Late hop additions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Default 1 minute and Late hop additions

So this is a question to everyone that uses some sort of bag to contain and filter their hops prior to transfering the wort into the fermenter. When a recipe calls for hops at flameout or 1 minute before the end of the boil, do you place it in the bag, or throw the hops directly into the wort? When do you remove you bag with all the hops? I almost feel like i am wasting hops if I put it in the bag and only use it for a minute. Isn't there a lot more aroma that could be pulled while you are chilling? Obviously the hops could be thrown right in, but then that could cause issues with siphoning later

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Bentpirate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I throw the hops right in my hops bag. After flame out, I simply leave the pot alone while I am getting the plate chiller ready and fermentor. Don't be in a hurry to get the wort out, let the hops and all wort goodness relax and meld together.... nothing will grow when the wort is still about 200deg. The idea of flame out addition isn't the bittering properties but the aroma and these hops shouldn't sit that long any way - just a few minutes or so to extract..... I also leave the bag in place while chilling

Old 09-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use the bag and leave the hops in while cooling.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I bag leaf hops, but not pellets as leaf hops clog up my pump but pellets don't. Anyway, I leave my hops in during chilling. To me, it's important to do that so that the 1 minute and 0 minute hops have time to steep in the wort.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
kegtoe

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i used to put all my hops in a bag. i felt that i wasnt getting proper hop utilization. after my 4th or 5th batch i added all hops: Bittering, Flavor, or Aroma directly to the wort. I then filter the beer going into my fermetner with a 5 gallon paint strainer that sat in a solution of starsan.

I feel, that i get more out of my hops by letting them float all around the wort. No wasy for me to back that up, just my opinion.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Thanks to all for the responses. So it seams that most people using a bag leave the bag in the entire time the wort is chilling? I think I will start doing this as it makes the most sense.

Last brew I put all my hops in the bag except for the 5 min addition, which I added directly to the wort. This caused some problems when siphoning the wort to the fermenter for me

Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

All hops right in the drink all the time. I never use a bag as I have a badass fine chinois that I run the wort through after it is cooled. It helps aerate and gets rid of all the hop schwag.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I stopped using bags and leaf hops mostly for the reasons you're stating. I just didn't feel like I was getting good wort contact for late hop additions.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
I bag leaf hops, but not pellets as leaf hops clog up my pump but pellets don't. Anyway, I leave my hops in during chilling. To me, it's important to do that so that the 1 minute and 0 minute hops have time to steep in the wort.
Where do you have the space to do this? With my IC in the pot and the bag of hops inbetween the coils, there's no room to stir for faster cooling -- in my pot at least.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
Where do you have the space to do this? With my IC in the pot and the bag of hops inbetween the coils, there's no room to stir for faster cooling -- in my pot at least.
I think she has a pump, so she doesn't have to stir...I wish I had a pump so badly! I know what you mean though. I have yet to try this, but I am thinking I could tie the top of my bag to the top coils of the IC and let the bag hang in the middle, then I can stir in circles with the chiller itself (this is what i do now for stirring)

Quick Reply