The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Zero Water brand filters for brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
jhall4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Zero Water brand filters for brewing?

Hello all,

I've been searching around the forum for information on Zero Water filters and their utility for providing good base water ala reverse osmosis water or distilled water. However, I haven't been able to find anything because we really use the word "water" a lot, especially on this forum - and "zero" pops up quite a bit, too. So, I figured I'd start a thread...

For what it's worth, their help guide claims:

Quote:
ZeroWater® filters produce water that is a similar purity level to that produced from an RO system. Our systems also don't waste any water and operate based on gravity. In addition, they do not need to be installed into your plumbing.
I'm just wondering what, if any, experience any of you have with the system.

Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

This is the same technology as Brita and suffers from the same major disadvantage as far as brewers are concerned. These are low volume systems intended to provide small quantities of drinking water hence the pitcherlike design. They contain GAC and ion exchange resins. If the source water contains an appreciable ion content the resins will be exhausted quickly. They claim that the system will process 30 gal of 200 ppm TDS water (average for the coasts - Pacific northwest is well below this in many locales and midwest well above) before output TDS rises to 6 at which point they recommend replacing the filters. RO water will typically run below 20 and there is no reason you couldn't use this system until the output reaches that level.

30 gal would be enough for a couple (3?) batches of beer. At $15 per filter cartridge that's about $0.50/gal which is pretty steep. But they do have some sort of recycling program (ion exchange cartridges can be recharged).

A final note: it's going to take quite a while for 10 gal of water to trickle through this thing but then RO systems aren't really that fast either unless you pay a fair amount for one with a pump.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
jhall4
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply, AJ.

I guess I should have included some more details in my OP. Basically I'm in an apartment so I cannot install an RO system, so although that would provide the greatest cost efficiency and convenience to me, I'm simply not able.

That leaves using straight tap water (well, campden treated tap water) and buying from the store.

My tap water isn't the best base water to begin with AND it varies depending on which source my municipality is pulling from that day, so it's difficult to even determine a good treatment plan besides stripping it down and building back up. It yields acceptable beer but I also have little doubt it could be improved upon.

Store bought water is, at best (meaning RO refilling stations, not prepackaged which can easily cost $0.80-$1.00/gallon at the local grocery stores) equal or maybe slightly cheaper than operating a Zero Water filter - but then I have to buy and carry 8ish gallons of water into my apartment. A first world problem, to be sure, but still not something I enjoy.

So, even though it's a relatively expensive method (compared to home RO) and it takes forever to filter the necessary amount of water for a brew day, I think I'm willing to live with those disadvantages because I still see that as an improvement over my current options - if, that is, it yields acceptable results.

Based on your reply, it sounds like using Zero Water even past the recommended replacement TDS count would yield a quality base water - am I correct in that assessment?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

One thing to consider is a "tabletop" portable RO water system if that is something you'd like to do. I bought one that just attaches to my faucet in my laundry room, and use that for brewing. There is quite a bit of wastewater with it, and that goes down the drain, or into the washing machine, but I paid about $120 for it and I have used it now for a couple of years without needing any filters or anything for it.

Of course, the Zero filter might work well for you as well, I as just throwing that idea out there!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
jhall4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
One thing to consider is a "tabletop" portable RO water system if that is something you'd like to do. I bought one that just attaches to my faucet in my laundry room, and use that for brewing. There is quite a bit of wastewater with it, and that goes down the drain, or into the washing machine, but I paid about $120 for it and I have used it now for a couple of years without needing any filters or anything for it.

Of course, the Zero filter might work well for you as well, I as just throwing that idea out there!
I hadn't seen those anywhere - that would definitely fit my needs. I'll look into them, thanks!

Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I too live in an apartment, so I can feel your pain. I picked up one of these at More Beer, Water Filter .

While it is really just a glorified Brita filter, it has made my homebrew life easier.

-=ô¿ô=-

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Sweet Irish Blonde
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '14
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '14
Keg #1: Dad's Apple Pie Cider
Keg #2: California Honey Wheat
Keg #3: Dread Not Sweet Stout
Keg #4: Gentleman's Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter
Bottled: Pom-Cran Sour '13, Orange Hefeweizen, Dad's Apple Pie Cider
On-Deck: Golden Spike Belgian Rye

Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall4 View Post

Based on your reply, it sounds like using Zero Water even past the recommended replacement TDS count would yield a quality base water - am I correct in that assessment?
Yes.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
jhall4
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for the help, everyone!

Quick Reply