Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Yet another "check out my water report" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
salad 419
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yet another "check out my water report" thread

Just got the results back from Ward Labs:

pH 6.6
TDS 256
Na 30
K 3
Ca 42
Mg 3
CaCO3 118(total hardness)
SO4 24
Cl 55
CO3 <1
HCO3 24
CaCO3 20 (total alkalinity)

Primary: NONE :(
Secondary: Barley wine, RIS, Palisade Pale Ale, Burnt Mead
Drinking: Local water test Red Ale, Kolsch, Northern Brown Ale, Homegrown Chinook IPA, Dunkelweizen, Cherry Bran Muffin, Citrus Salad, IPA, Cherry Stout

"And Ultimately....... Who Gives A F@CK Anyway?"- Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Do you have any specific questions or are you looking for generic feedback?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/ez-...dsheet-135095/

That's a good spreadsheet to use to see where you stand.

Incidentally, your water is really close to mine. Calcium, SO4 (sulfate), magnesium and hardness is quite low. That's good for lighter beers with slight additions and it's a good base for adding a bunch of salts for darker beers. Mess with the spreadsheet a bit.

I'm still learning myself so don't take this as an assertion of knowledge.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
salad 419
Recipes 

I didn't have any specific questions. I just wanted to post in an advanced discussion thread so I could be cool. I'm thinking my awesome plan backfired.

Thanks for the link for the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, the computer with Office on it just crashed, so it will be later before I can mess with it. I've found a couple online that I've playing around with.

I've been using Spring Water, but at 82 cents a gallon, it adds up. As cheap as I am, I figured I'd try to use my tap water to save some coin. Every beer I've made with the local water has been terrible. Except the last test batch that I used Campden tablets in. There's still a slight "sweet acidic????" taste to that batch, but not the terrible off flavors that were in the original batches. I'm not sure if that flavor is a result of the water or the fact that I just threw together a crappy recipe with leftover grains.

I'm usually not real precise when I brew. In a similar manner that cooks just throw stuff together. I don't exactly measure the amounts of Gypsum I put in the water. I just throw some in. BUT, I'm really going to get "scientific" about this in hopes that I can use this water with decent results.

Drinking: Local water test Red Ale, Kolsch, Northern Brown Ale, Homegrown Chinook IPA, Dunkelweizen, Cherry Bran Muffin, Citrus Salad, IPA, Cherry Stout

Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Are you brewing all grain?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
salad 419
Recipes 

Yes, I'm brewing all-grain.

And, I admit that I don't check pH. I bought some of the "beer strips" and the mash read 4.2. I checked plain water and it said 4.6, so I thought they didn't work. I'm sure if I'd follow the correct procedures, I may be able to correct the unknown source of my off flavors associated with my local tap water.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by salad 419 View Post
unknown source of my off flavors associated with my local tap water.
Unless you are making American Light Lager, I doubt that your water chemistry would be a problem. Your water isn't too bad.

Are you treating your water with Campden tablets to remove chloramine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply