New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Yeast Weight Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Yeast Weight Question

Was just looking through all the yeast information and have been converting my pitch rates into a quick chart. I wash my yeast then direct pitch the amount I want from the quart canning jar. I have been working off the following assumptions since I have been using washed yeast.

1. Yeast is 85% viable
2. You get 20 billion cells of yeast per 1 gram of yeast.

My goal is to get gram weights that are effective, so I can spoon out gram weights from my washed yeast and pitch accordingly. It is more convenient for me than using ml's.

OK the question - Do my gram weights need to account for the latent water weight in the yeast?? That is, can I just get my gram weight from a spoon full of settled out yeast in my jar, or do I need to account for the latent water weight in the hydrated yeast?

I am sure I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but was wondering if anyone handled yeast by gram weights instead of ml to get pitching amounts.

Does this look about right?? (Columns from left to right=S.G.:yeast needed in billions:grams of yeast needed, accounting for 85% viability)?

left side for 11 gallon batches; didn't fill out the 5gallon side yet
chart.jpg

Chart for grams per starter. i.e. a recipe says, "use a 1 liter starter" you would pitch accordingly in gram weight
Math was: 150x.85=127.5; 150-127.5=22.5; 22.5+150= 172.5 (adjusted cell count for 85% viability)
Then: adjusted cell count/20=xGrams
chart-2.jpg

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8