Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Yeast biologists - worried about contaminating lab strains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've gone through a few articles implying that yeast cell surface structures might vary by strain. I've also read that yeast cells show differences in autoflorescensce, especially when excited by uv light in the 260-290 nm range (apologies if I'm off - going from memory). The gotcha is that actual brewing yeast strains tend to be hard to differentiate (as opposed to everything else). We're also using ccd/CMOS instead of photomultiplier tubes, so we'll see how that goes.

My initial goal is to see of folks can give us a jump start or are willing to do some correspondence. I know it's lazy, but would love to skip some of the self discovery (e.g spending 6 months cataloging the fingerprints of wlp001 vs 005 vs 320) so that we can zoom in on specific traits.

Here's an easy place to start though ... Do you folks recommend any companies for glassware. We have 10 stepper motors, 3 scopes, and 0 petri dishes, flasks, or pipettes. And yes, I realize it's a weird problem to have.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewguyver View Post
I've gone through a few articles implying that yeast cell surface structures might vary by strain. I've also read that yeast cells show differences in autoflorescensce, especially when excited by uv light in the 260-290 nm range (apologies if I'm off - going from memory). The gotcha is that actual brewing yeast strains tend to be hard to differentiate (as opposed to everything else). We're also using ccd/CMOS instead of photomultiplier tubes, so we'll see how that goes.

My initial goal is to see of folks can give us a jump start or are willing to do some correspondence. I know it's lazy, but would love to skip some of the self discovery (e.g spending 6 months cataloging the fingerprints of wlp001 vs 005 vs 320) so that we can zoom in on specific traits.

Here's an easy place to start though ... Do you folks recommend any companies for glassware. We have 10 stepper motors, 3 scopes, and 0 petri dishes, flasks, or pipettes. And yes, I realize it's a weird problem to have.
I'm not sure the beer yeast strains you mentioned have been adequately characterized to give you a "fingerprint" of cell surface proteins that are amenable to immunostaining. Same goes for intracellular proteins, if you are going that route (cell surface would be much easier).

I don't know if you have any recourse other than for discovery of uniquely expressed cell surface/intracellular markers. White Labs and Wyeast would be the ones to ask about this.

As for glassware, any of the common lab supply giants should be a good place to start (VWR, Fisher, etc.)

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 to Broadbill.

Quick Reply