Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Why isn't an Iodine test the "defacto" standard for mash time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #41
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

OK Kaiser you've convinced me..I'm gonna try doing FFTs...esp on my lagers.

Maybe if I bottled a few from the same keg and left extra head space. Shake the hell out of a couple; several times over the course of one evening, and don't shake the others and then wait a few days for everything to settle/equalize. Compare.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #42
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I just set up some starters and it occurred to me that this might be a good way to test the lifespan of foam positive proteins. Next time I save some leftover wort - which I typically then autoclave at work (unfortunately I just inoculated the ones that had been sitting on my bench for the past 6 weeks), then I can just give it a good shake every day and see if I get foam. I can then repeat ad nausem and see what happens. This way I don't need to worry about any carbonation issue. Although I'm fairly sure the yeast make a difference in head though as I have numerous kegs of anecdotal information that say that the longer the aging, the better the head (My pipeline is sufficient such that I don't drink green beer). Regardless, this would be a good way to test wort proteins and foam.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #43
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to stop reading Kai's posts.

Every time I do it simply reminds me how little I know about brewing...and that really it's simply a combination of dumb luck and the magic of yeast that's making these delicious brews.

"There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who ask questions."
-Me

Primary: none
Secondary: American Light Lager
Bottled: Glücksweizen (closest to an amber wheat I guess).
Bottled: Apfelwein
Kegged: Cream Ale

Upcoming:a Brown Ale, and a Belgian Ale, maybe a Porter.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #44
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
In any case, I'm brewing a Sticke Alt today and I'm gonna try a very short version of the temp-ramp mash mentioned at the end of that thread (posted by Larry). Dough-in to rest @ 144 for 5 min, ramp to 158 over 20 min, rest @ 158 for 5 min, test for conversion, mash-out @ 168. It's mostly a 1:1 mix of Pils:Light Munich with a little Caramunich and a tiny bit of Carafa Special II.
FWIW, I just racked this Sticke Alt and it went from 1.064 to 1.015 using White Labs European Ale yeast (WL site says 65%-70% att. but I've never gotten anywhere near that low attenuation with it). It was a decent amount I think, it was a 3 month old ~30mL 'cake' of washed yeast in a 3 qt. starter, decanted. I expected a higher FG. Sample tastes a bit more bitter/hoppy than I expected.

EDIT: I should be brewing another Enkle tomorrow and will try this mash schedule again and will do an FFT this time.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 05-16-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply