*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > What happened to this batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Jhoussock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

My batch of beer smells like nail polish remover....but before you go on a rant about searching for why this happens listen to my scenario. I ferment in a stainless conical that is temp controlled. That rules out high fermentation temps. This batch did produce a lot of yeast in comparison to the batches I've brewed before. It couldn't have had a poor fermentation with all the yeast right? Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well, the options with nail polish are 1) Temps 2) underpitching yeast, or 3) infection.

You seem pretty adamant about 1 and 2......so....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

If you've got a nail polish smell, it HAD to have been stressed yeast. I mean, it's not the grain, or the hops. so, it has to be water or yeast. It's not the water, unless you have acetone in the water- so that makes it a yeast issue.

It's often due to high temperatures and slight oxidation, but plastic equipment can leach those flavors as well.

I'd double check any plastic in your brewery and eliminate it, and double check the fermentation temperature system you have.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
ajdelange
Recipes 

Liked 594 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Nail polish remover contains ethyl acetate and that's what you are smelling. Some yeast strains produce more of it than others. If you have ever been to the UK and drunk Tetleys (which I don't recommend) you will know what I am talking about. High fermentation temperature at the beginning of fermentation increases ester production in general and some bacteria (lactic acid producing and acetic acid producing) generate it as well. In summary one or more of
1. Yeast strain
2. Temperature control
3. Infection

is/are probably reponsible

Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

High pitching temp will stress the yeast from the beginning even if you got ferm temps down eventually.

Might as well start stripping the paint off the house with that stuff or give it to the neighbors you don't like.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If I forget to clean out my fermentor for several weeks, it will develop a very strong acetone aroma from the yeast autolysis. If there was a lot of yeast and the beer spent too much time on the lees, then its possible that is where it came from.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Quick Reply