New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water treatment with campden.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
AshtrayDinner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Water treatment with campden.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum, but here goes.

I need to remove the chlorine from my water. It is producing a hospital smell in my otherwise excellent blond beers that I really cant stand. I read a bunch on it and it seems that water can be de-chlorinated by either leaving it to sit, boiling and cooling it, or using campden/sodium-metabisulphite.

I bought some campden tablets, but they don't come with any instructions, so I am unsure how much to use. Is one tablet enough for 5 gallons of water, or is this too much/too little to add?

Also does anyone know what by-products I will be left with after the chemical reaction? My water is already very hard (Toronto hydro says 125 ppm Ca/Mg) and I am interested what my leftover compounds will be.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

one tablet is supposedly good to treat up to 20 gallons.

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 05-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have been reading up on wine stuff and they are using 1 tablet for a gallon of must but I think that is because there is no boil to kill off bacteria, wild yeast etc and to just get rid of chlorine/chloramine you don't need it so concentrated. just a guess though.

On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 05-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
AshtrayDinner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So a half tablet will give me 10 gallons of water with no chlorine or chloramine? Sounds pretty good to me. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtrayDinner View Post
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum, but here goes.

I need to remove the chlorine from my water. It is producing a hospital smell in my otherwise excellent blond beers that I really cant stand. I read a bunch on it and it seems that water can be de-chlorinated by either leaving it to sit, boiling and cooling it, or using campden/sodium-metabisulphite.

I bought some campden tablets, but they don't come with any instructions, so I am unsure how much to use. Is one tablet enough for 5 gallons of water, or is this too much/too little to add?

Also does anyone know what by-products I will be left with after the chemical reaction? My water is already very hard (Toronto hydro says 125 ppm Ca/Mg) and I am interested what my leftover compounds will be.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Everything you ever wanted to know about removing chloramine from brewing liquor:

http://www.hbd.org/brewbayou/LIBRARY/Articles/BT_Chlorine%20.pdf

In a nutshell:

Potassium metabisulfite (campden) is a fairly strong reducing agent (that is why it is added to wine at bottling, it reduces residual oxygen in the package) and it will reduce chloramine in water. 1 tablet in 20 gallons is about enough to reduce whatever the maximum allowable chloramine content is (5 ppm maybe?). You actually probably have less in your water as even if it left the plant with the max some of it would have reacted with something on the way to your house. Better safe than sorry though, use a tablet per 20 gallons.

The by products left in your water are very small amounts of sulfate and ammonium, no problems there.

In the likely event that not all of the campden is needed to reduce the chloramine, you will have some residual campden but it will find something to reduce in the mash so no problems there either.

Boiling and cooling will not reliably remove chloramine. Letting it sit will, but who knows how long you need to leave it. Campden is practically free, works in an instant and is reliable.

Quick Reply