Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Softener + RO System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
pava
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Water Softener + RO System

I know using water that has been through a water softener is not suggested because of high sodium content, however, is it acceptable to use the softened water if it is run through an RO system after the softener. According to the water guy, the RO system will remove the sodium in the water from the softener.

I know using RO water I will have to add back in minerals to fit each style, but I want to make sure that there are no other issues associated with the softener.

After the system is installed I am planning on sending a sample to wards lab, again assuming that the report comes back with acceptable sodium levels are there any other concerns here??

Aging/DryHopping:
Planned:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

no, that method works well. yeah, you will need to add minerals, but it just gives you that much more control!

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
pava
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

perfect, that's what I was hoping for.

Aging/DryHopping:
Planned:

Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Depending on how hard your water is it may be preferable to feed the RO system with softened water. In an RO system the closer you get to the membrane on the feed side the higher the concentration of ions. If those ions are calcium and carbonate ions it is quite possible to get concentrations sufficient to super saturate the solution and deposition of calcium carbonate can occur fouling the membrane and thus shortening its life. Sodium salts are much more soluble and so this is less of a problem. The manual that came with your RO system should have a recommendation as to the maximum feed water hardness. If you water is harder than that then use softened water for sure. Otherwise it is a question of whether you want residual calcium or residual sodium in the permeate. Note that as many RO systems are fed with softened water the designs are often optimized for rejection of sodium (99%).

Quick Reply