Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Report Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
jlangfo5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Water Report Questions

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to point out anything interesting about my local water! I don't plan on getting into modifying my water just yet, but I was just wondering if anything could be said for current water?

PH----------------------7.5
Na----------------------10
Ca----------------------19
Mg----------------------6
Cl-----------------------13
SO4---------------------24
CO3---------------------78
Alkalinity----------------64
Hardness----------------73
Fluoride------------------1.16
Fe------------------------~0
Nitrate ------------------.5
Total Dissolved Solids--149

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

That water is...really nice. Use a simple spreadsheet like Bru'N Water. I was resistant to it too, but it's very easy. You won't need to modify much.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just took a look at the spread sheet that you recommended, it seems like a really great tool! I am curious though, what makes the water I described nice? Is it nice in that it can be easily modified, or does it have some stuff in it already that is beneficial?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangfo5 View Post
I just took a look at the spread sheet that you recommended, it seems like a really great tool! I am curious though, what makes the water I described nice? Is it nice in that it can be easily modified, or does it have some stuff in it already that is beneficial?
Really balanced, easily modified. For example, if you were going to make a pale ale, just a smidge of calcium chloride and you're good to go. Does your municipality use chlorine or chloramine?

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am not sure to be honest which they use actually. This is good news though it seems, I am not quite at the point yet where I am ready to start playing with my water chemistry, still need to nail down my mash efficiency issues, but i found this report today and wanted to know what I was already working with! Thanks for the information!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
I am not sure to be honest which they use actually. This is good news though it seems, I am not quite at the point yet where I am ready to start playing with my water chemistry, still need to nail down my mash efficiency issues, but i found this report today and wanted to know what I was already working with! Thanks for the information!
The chlorine/chloramine thing is important to know. Chlorine will just boil off during your brew day. However, chloramine is harder to get rid of. I just use Campden tablets and that's super easy. I know it's tempting to leave water for after mash efficiency is worked out, but I'd caution against that. I was having mash efficiency problems BECAUSE of my water. I had low calcium in my water and that is a necessary cofactor for the amylase enzymes. Yours is pretty low too (not as low as mine was) so it's something as simple as adding a teaspoon of Calcium chloride would go a long way. It would potentially help your efficiency and it will help your hops "pop" more.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I did some quick research and we actually use chlorine dioxide to treat our water here. In my last brew, I only had around 55% efficency from my single infusion mash using a batch sparge, so I might experiment with adding some CaCl to my water. Where do you get your food grade CaCl from?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
The chlorine/chloramine thing is important to know. Chlorine will just boil off during your brew day. However, chloramine is harder to get rid of. I just use Campden tablets and that's super easy. I know it's tempting to leave water for after mash efficiency is worked out, but I'd caution against that. I was having mash efficiency problems BECAUSE of my water. I had low calcium in my water and that is a necessary cofactor for the amylase enzymes. Yours is pretty low too (not as low as mine was) so it's something as simple as adding a teaspoon of Calcium chloride would go a long way. It would potentially help your efficiency and it will help your hops "pop" more.
Chlorine should be treated before using too. Chlorine will boil off, but you're not boiling it before you're mashing with it (or at least I know most breweries don't boil their water before mashing..that I know of).

Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
jlangfo5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I do run my water through a Breta filter before it goes into the mash and it is advertised to remove 99% of chlorine, I do wonder what else it could be removing too...

Edit!

It appears that water filtration through activated carbon such as a Brita filter removes an average of 90% of the calcium in the water, that could be a problem!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
I did some quick research and we actually use chlorine dioxide to treat our water here. In my last brew, I only had around 55% efficency from my single infusion mash using a batch sparge, so I might experiment with adding some CaCl to my water. Where do you get your food grade CaCl from?
I just got mine from my LHBS. I think Whole Foods carries it too.

Quick Reply