Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Report Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs13 View Post
This is pretty confusing to me. You may have to just break it down into English cause this water stuff is still new to me...
Post back about the parts you don't understand and I'll try to give a plain English explanation.

Quote:
...also is your 2bbl electric or gas?
Neither. It is steam (but the steam is generated by a gas boiler).

Quote:
Would you think you would still need ventilation with electric? Just curious because I am thinking of going full electric...
Vapor (from boiling wort) is vapor whether the wort is boiled by gas or electric and my main concern was condensation of water vapor all over the place. So I installed a Crispaire 9' restaurant hood. This cost me all kinds of money and pain and if we ever meet in person we'll have a beer and I'll regale you with tales about how the various contractors screwed me over WRT getting the thing hung (properly). Set the project back a whole year. After all that I concluded that perhaps it was overkill - that a couple of residential bathroom/kitchen exhaust fans might have done just as well or well enough anyway.

Flue gas is, of course, an entirely different matter. That stuff will kill you and it absolutely has to be vented. With the boiler all the flue gas goes up the flue and the flue is at negative pressure WRT the brewery so the vent has no role in removing combustion products.

To boil 2 bbl in reasonable time you are going to want something like 300,000 BTU/HR. That's 87.9 kW. In a three phase 240 V circuit that amounts to 122 amps/phase. Even if you ran with half that (I can boil a bbl and a half with 150KBTU/hr) that's 61 amp service for just the kettle. I'm not sure all electric is a practical way to go here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Post back about the parts you don't understand and I'll try to give a plain English explanation.

Neither. It is steam (but the steam is generated by a gas boiler).

Vapor (from boiling wort) is vapor whether the wort is boiled by gas or electric and my main concern was condensation of water vapor all over the place. So I installed a Crispaire 9' restaurant hood. This cost me all kinds of money and pain and if we ever meet in person we'll have a beer and I'll regale you with tales about how the various contractors screwed me over WRT getting the thing hung (properly). Set the project back a whole year. After all that I concluded that perhaps it was overkill - that a couple of residential bathroom/kitchen exhaust fans might have done just as well or well enough anyway.

Flue gas is, of course, an entirely different matter. That stuff will kill you and it absolutely has to be vented. With the boiler all the flue gas goes up the flue and the flue is at negative pressure WRT the brewery so the vent has no role in removing combustion products.

To boil 2 bbl in reasonable time you are going to want something like 300,000 BTU/HR. That's 87.9 kW. In a three phase 240 V circuit that amounts to 122 amps/phase. Even if you ran with half that (I can boil a bbl and a half with 150KBTU/hr) that's 61 amp service for just the kettle. I'm not sure all electric is a practical way to go here.
I would love to see your brewery setup. Do you have any pictures? Where are you from?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Pictures, including RO system, at http://www.pbase.com/agamid/brewery.

Located in McLean, VA

Quick Reply