Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water report

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
JerD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water report

Just got my water report back. Now I can really get into it and figure what in the sam hell to do. I'm not sure, but I think I'm going to be using a fair amount of bottled water

pH 7.6
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 678
Sodium, Na 74
Potassium, K 6
Calcium, Ca 86
Magnesium, Mg 62
Total Hardness, CaCO3 473
Nitrate, NO3-N 1.0 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 60
Chloride, Cl 7
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 499
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 409
Fluoride, F 0.63
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow that's some high bicarbonates. You'll definitely want to dilute with distilled for any lighter colored beers. I recommend playing with Palmer's spreadsheet found on his HowToBrew site.

Bottom of this page
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-3.html

Edit: For most you'll probably dilute with distilled then add back some calcium. For an IPA you'd use a good bit of Gypsum like I have to.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
JerD
Recipes 

I spent some time playing with Palmers Spread sheet and RA graph with my new water report. I'm enjoying this so much, maybe my wife is right about me. I'm wondering about additions to the water. If I need 9 gallons for the whole batch (absortion, boil off, etc.), can I just treat the whole 9 gallons or should I just prep the mash water? Looking at the prices for gypsum and calcium chloride, I can't see a reason why not to prep the whole bunch.

Last edited by JerD; 09-23-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: sp

Old 09-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's suggested by palmer that you add the minerals in the mash, and then in the boil. A lot of these salts are not soluble in water at neutral PH, instead they dissolve in the mash where the PH is lower. I've put salts in the HLT before I knew this, and ended up cleaning them all out of the bottom of the HLT when I was done brewing.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply