Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Questions (moved from the Sticky)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
nathanmunn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Has anyone used Palmer's Pilsen Water Profile for a Bohemian Pils? I recently heard him on Brew Strong say that you need 50ppm Ca for the yeast to Flocculate and his profile has Pilsen at 10ppm. I was about to do a pils and was going to use his water profile for the recipe and now I am afraid it will not flocculate. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmunn View Post
Has anyone used Palmer's Pilsen Water Profile for a Bohemian Pils? I recently heard him on Brew Strong say that you need 50ppm Ca for the yeast to Flocculate and his profile has Pilsen at 10ppm. I was about to do a pils and was going to use his water profile for the recipe and now I am afraid it will not flocculate. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
The barley malt itself contributes calcium.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 537 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brew all my Pilsners with calcium levels well below 50 mg/L. The yeast flocculate. An important part of lager brewing is, unsurprisingly enough, lagering. The yeast may not drop as fast as they would with more Ca++ but given proper lagering time you will have bright beer.

One thing I noticed when I got religion on mash pH control is that low mash pH seems to speed clarification.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
bobbytuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post

One thing I noticed when I got religion on mash pH control is that low mash pH seems to speed clarification.
Does this low-pH/decrease in clarification time apply to ales, too? Or is this a unique feature with just lagers?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 537 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 15

All beers I brew except Kölsch. That yeast is just so dusty nothing will get it but filtration. But I don't brew many ales except Kölsch and Weizen neither of which clears. Subsequent to experiencing it in the real world I saw a confirming statement in a book somewhere - don't remember where.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am in the process of moving my brewery to well water. I did have it tested and will brew very good dark beers. I prefer light beers to amber ales.

I have been spending a lot of time in this forum and appreciate all the information.

I have been playing with two of the spreadsheet tools noted here. Both I believe are highly regarded.

I need to make a decision on which tool to use so I can get on to actually brewing.

My question: Is it best just to select one and go with it?, Or, is there some reasoning behind the selection that I may need to consider?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
JimCharb
Newby OldFart
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone have a fairly recent profile of city water in Duluth Minnesota (Lake Superior H20)? I've found something on the city website but it's pretty basic. I'll get a sample tested if need be but I thought I'd check in with the brew-a-nistas before shelling out the $$$ (I'm a cheap mutha!).

Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
pfowl01
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Hello,

I'm trying to find the EZ water spreedsheet 2.0....all I can find is the 3.0. I would really like to use the 2.0 version. I beleive this is the one Bobby uses in his 3 part vidoe series.....Can anyone help me with this?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #19
hulkavitch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why is there so much discrepancy between these spreadsheets? Palmer's says for me to add to RO water for a 3.3 srm (cream ale) 2.5 g CaCl and 2.5g of epsom.

Ez water 8 g of each?

Saq 4.7 g of each?

Also, do you add the additions that dont go into the mash into the boil or the sparge?

Palmer and Jamil in the waterganza podcast were saying something about adding it to the boil because....i cant remember....blah blah

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
TheBigLebrewski
Recipes 

Although a 3 plus year thread, it has recently been replied to...
i would like to ask the community's opinion on http://nomograph.babbrewers.com/

A fantastic idea and easy to use tool, however...

The nomograph online app was apparently written with Palmer's permission as it is based off of his nomograph in how to brew.
The online app seems to work consistent with the manual chart in chapter 15.3 until you begin to adjust the levers for ion additions. This is where i lose confidence in this tool. Compare the final output of salt additions to the chart on chapter 15.4....The numbers are not even close.
The output simply does not match up to the chart or any popular water spreadsheet calculator for that matter.

I have had this discussion with other brewers and we all feel this online nomagraph is misleading to anyone who uses it.

or is every last one of us simply using it wrong?

Quick Reply