Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water profile and associated off flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
SugarJohnson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Water profile and associated off flavor?

I did not want to ask this until I had ruled everything out I could. Here is the problem quickly: I have about 15 AG brews under my belt. I brew on a brutus system with stable mash temps and a single batch sparge. Crush grains with a BC at the factory setting. Ferment in a basement that is around 64-68 year round. Sanitize WELL with Starsan. I have now gotten a Solvent like off flavor on the last 4 brews. They are not green as the last Amber Ale has been in the bottle 8 weeks. I originally thought chlorine so I used Campden tablets overnight. No signs of infection either. Looking at my water chem I now am wondering about tannin extraction during sparge due to Alkaline water. Alkalinity is high but using Palmers PH Nom as well the ez water Calc I have tried to stay in the SRM guidelines. Beer is not terrible but has the flavor. You can actually aerate in the glass and smell it clearly! I have NOT adjusted any salts as of yet.

Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 97 / 97
Mg: 40 / 40
Na: 13 / 13
Cl: 18 / 18
SO4: 205 / 205
CaCO3: 257 / 257

RA (mash only): 164 (19 to 23 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 0.09 (Very Bitter)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Magnesium is high out of range and the CL:SO4 ratio is extremely low. If these are all hoppy beer styles, you could be OK but I'd expect a harsh bitterness, perhaps even metallic aroma and taste from a combo of high SO4, low Cl and high Mg. Certainly that RA is really looking for a Brown beer, anything copper to pale is going to have a pH that is too basic.

I'd start with a 25% dilution with distilled, but if I had your water I'd invest in a $120ish RO system.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
SugarJohnson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Bobby. No metal flavor just the solvent like. I planned to do a RO dilution on my next batch. I don't want to start a war but what about a dilution, and adding 5.2 to my mash/sparge. Next beer is a Bells clone so the SO4 to Cl would not be a huge issue. The RA will be though? Funny thing is I am in the burbs of Milwaukee so I can get Lake Michigan water which has an overall better profile. Just sucks to go to my brothers house to hall ten gallons of water.

Quick Reply