Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Primer/Recipe Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
bdh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah, I agree it's weird that all the other measured ions are so low given the huge range of bicarbonate and alkalinity. I'd have to think about it for a while, but I've heard things like silica can be untested and upset ionic balance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 15

[QUOTE=JeffoC6;4385119 Looks like what I'm seeing above is that I can simply use the calcium chloride and distilled water only, and not have any issues.[/QUOTE]

In all likelihood that will be the case. You are using 14% colored malts and that should put your pH where you want it to be. There is a chance that pH could drop too low if
1. Some of the dark malts were exceptionally acidic
2. The base malt is exceptionally acidic

The chances of this are fairly small. The probability that you will hurt yourself by adding base (as some would advise for a beer like this based on its color) are higher than the chances you will hurt you self by just brewing with the CaCl2.

Having said that I would much prefer that you insure you are not in one of these unusual cases by measuring mash pH with a properly calibrated pH meter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply