Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Modification Videos, TH's Spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #231
Hound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Bobby M's videos were a great help. Did he, or anyone else, make videos for the 3.0 version of the calculators?

May be there isn't that much difference between the original and the latest vids? Is it possible to learn how to use them from Bobby M's original 3 videos?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #232
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
May be there isn't that much difference between the original and the latest vids? Is it possible to learn how to use them from Bobby M's original 3 videos?
I would say yes. I find that Bobby's videos give a lot of general hints as to how to approach water adjustment and use the original spreadsheets as examples on how to calculate. Everything he talks about is 100% transferrable.

Water adjustment (IMHO) is not a black and white thing... everyone will have different approaches to how they think water should (or should not) be adjusted for certain styles. Part of the trick is learning what works for you through experimentation, trial and error, etc. I think Bobby hits the nail on the head on the approach that should be taken (and how it should be taken). The videos are a great asset.

Kal

Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #233
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

In general, those videos were a technical pain in the butt with the screen capture and voiceover. We did just get a real fancy USB studio mic at work though so maybe I can work that in eventually.

The major improvement from v1.0 is consideration of the grain make up on predicted mash pH. Basically, you add that info in and then work as if it was the older version. You'll also notice that the affects of chalk are downplayed.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #234
Hound
Recipes 

Thanks folks. I'll do my best.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #235
Hound
Recipes 

The water analysis results which I have don't give a Ca reading (I got them from a quarry which ue the same supply as my house - Long story)

Is it possible to deduce the Ca reading form the CaCO3 reading? I know CaCO3 is the 'Total Alkakinity' reading, but would it give an idea of what the Ca reading would be? The Total Alkalinity readings are at 240, 220, 260 and 240 for 4 samples taken over a two month period.....yes these are high I gather. It's all limestone all arond me....hence I'm hoping to do a stout brew.

Quick Reply