Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Modification Videos, TH's Spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #131
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You're right. The sparge water volume in the spreadsheet is Preboil volume - mash volume. In other words, it's whatever amount you collect via the sparge process.

You could think of that field as "sparge water volume that makes it into the BK"

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #132
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 752 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You're right. The sparge water volume in the spreadsheet is Preboil volume - mash volume. In other words, it's whatever amount you collect via the sparge process.

You could think of that field as "sparge water volume that makes it into the BK"
Thanks, that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure as it can make quite a difference.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #133
CrystallineEntity
cosmozoan life-form
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 840 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Lil help here. I understand how to use the spreadsheet. How would you handle the additions when doing a mash out? For example: Mash in with 3.5 gal, mash out with 2.5 gal, 1 batch sparge with 3.25 gal? Would you just divide up the salts for the mash and add them at mash in, and mash out? Or just add them all at the beginning? Hope this is understandable.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #134
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Add mash salts at 3.5 gallon ratio directly to the mash after dough in, mash out with straight tap and add sparge additions to the boil kettle at 5.75 gallons ratio. That mashout dilution shouldn't be a problem because it's only going to sit for 10 minutes or less.

I wouldn't worry about pH unless your salts are moving residual alkalinity in huge bounds like if you were doing a 40SRM stout with built up distilled water. In extreme cases like that I'd consider adding salts into the mash post mashout and/or sparge infusion.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 02-15-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #135
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 752 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWELLS View Post
Lil help here. I understand how to use the spreadsheet. How would you handle the additions when doing a mash out? For example: Mash in with 3.5 gal, mash out with 2.5 gal, 1 batch sparge with 3.25 gal? Would you just divide up the salts for the mash and add them at mash in, and mash out? Or just add them all at the beginning? Hope this is understandable.

Thanks.
I would think you would need to divide them as most of your mash time is at 3.5 gallons and you need the right ph here. Then either add the rest at mash out or maybe treat mash out water as sparge?

Good question...I'd like to know from someone more experienced also.

*edit* I see Bobby_M jumped on this. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #136
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What water profile should I use with the EZ water adjustment for doing a koelsch?

This is my starting RO water.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 1
Mg: 1
Na: 8
Cl: 5
SO4: 3
CaCO3: 12

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 1.625 / 0
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 0 / 0
CaSO4: 0 / 0
CaCl2: 0 / 0
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
NaCl: 0 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 1 / 1
Mg: 1 / 1
Na: 8 / 8
Cl: 5 / 5
SO4: 3 / 3
CaCO3: 12 / 12

RA (mash only): 11 (6 to 11 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 1.67 (Malty)

This is going to be a PM with 3lb of Pilsener malt and 2lb of Pale 2 row.
The rest of the fermentables is a Pilsner LME.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #137
hafmpty
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm going to be working on an English Brown Ale (Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale Clone).

I can figure out the addition numbers if someone would be willing to give me an idea about the target water profile. I'm kinda new to this so I'm not sure which profiles go with which style. I'm not trying to make an exact replica, but I do want my beer to have the appropriate SRM rating and RA. Any input on this? Thanks!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #138
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafmpty View Post
I'm going to be working on an English Brown Ale (Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale Clone).

I can figure out the addition numbers if someone would be willing to give me an idea about the target water profile. I'm kinda new to this so I'm not sure which profiles go with which style. I'm not trying to make an exact replica, but I do want my beer to have the appropriate SRM rating and RA. Any input on this? Thanks!
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but the London profile (if there is a single London profile!) is a good start for that style. I brewed a Nut Brown Ale a couple of months ago. It is definintely a malt-forward beer, so I would shoot for a malty, or maybe even balanced CL:Sulphate ratio. I'm sure the recipe will have the SRM range.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #139
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but the London profile (if there is a single London profile!) is a good start for that style. I brewed a Nut Brown Ale a couple of months ago. It is definintely a malt-forward beer, so I would shoot for a malty, or maybe even balanced CL:Sulphate ratio. I'm sure the recipe will have the SRM range.
Personally I wouldn't try and target a certain city when "building" water. That's backwards. Water is an integral part of a recipe, just like any of the other ingredients and you need to consider the whole package, not just try and target a certain city profile.

The brewers in London were stuck with the type of water they had so they would formulate their recipes accordingly.

I don't know what you're water's like, but here's what I'd do:

Make sure you're at least at the minimum ppm's for Ca (50) and Mg (10). Don't worry about Sodium too much. Then target a Cl:S04 ratio that is on the balanced to malty side, probably somewhere around 1.00 - 1.50. You also don't want your Cl or S04 to be too low either as Cl emphasizes flavour. So if Cl is extremely low (say between 0 and 10, or 20) I would probably bump up Cl to at least 30-50. S04 would then have to follow to keep that Cl:S04 ratio where you want it.

Post your city's water profile numbers. That'll help.

Kal

Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #140
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Personally I wouldn't try and target a certain city when "building" water. That's backwards. Water is an integral part of a recipe, just like any of the other ingredients and you need to consider the whole package, not just try and target a certain city profile.

The brewers in London were stuck with the type of water they had so they would formulate their recipes accordingly.
Thanks Kal. My bad. I should have said "have a look at the London profile". I didn't mean to convey trying to emulate that specific profile. Although the Cl:SO4 ratio in the London profile in the spreadsheet is 1.06, which should be perfect for the proposed style.

Quick Reply