Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Modification Videos, TH's Spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Water Modification Videos, TH's Spreadsheet

Of course I don't have to remind you folks that I'm a complete novice at this topic. I'm not claiming authority in any way, just trying to pass on nuggets of info that other people were good enough to pass on to me.

This is part one in a series of at least 3, still editing and rendering the 2nd and 3rd parts.

Corrections and criticisms welcome.. If you click the video to go directly to youtube, you can watch in HQ to see the text better.

Part 2, modify for pale ale:

Part 3, modify for dark beer and includes the concept of separate mash/boil additions and the ability to exclude some salts from the boil addition if necessary.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Looks good Bobby...
Thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Excellent work. Looks great!

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I couldn't figure out a way to make it more concise and I realize it's a little rambly. Anyway, I added part 2 last night.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
millstone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

good stuff, I always enjoy your videos. In part two, you talk about the amount of mash and sparge water required and you only talk about adding salts based on the amount of mash water. The application also shows salt additions for the boil, are you not adding any salts as shown on the app to your boil? Also in part one I have watched it maybe a dozen times and every time I look at part one the gallon of milk is still on the counter. Don't you think you should put it away.

tom

Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Hey Tom, I think the chatter about the mash/boil additions was cut out of part two but I'm pretty sure I mention it in part 3, which is yet to be edited. I'll make sure I put that in there or at least annotate the video somewhere.

That milk jug is empty and it's my job to put it in the recycle bin in the garage. However, instead of doing what I'm supposed to, I sit here making videos for you guys ;-)

Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bobby, I spent the 10 bucks and got a domain name for the spreadsheet. It is: www.EZWaterCalculator.com. Maybe you can update your videos and signature if its not too late. Soon I will put a link on the website to your videos.

Cheers!

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
mgo737
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

TH, can you take your spreadsheet one step further and have it convert the grams to teaspoons of each salt? That would be so helpful... Love the program otherwise!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

TH, no problem. I'm glad I didn't put the URL in the video render itself.

mgo737, I figured out the volume to weights on most of the salts last night and added it as a formula on the raw text output worksheet. I don't have it in front of me at the moment but IIRC, the fine powders like chalk and gypsum were 1/4 tsp per gram and epsom salt and baking soda were 1/8 tsp per gram. Those were lightly packed and level screeded amounts. I'll verify when I go home. I would caution that you'll be accepting a small level of error depending on how much moisture the salt has absorbed and how fine the powders are. I think calcium chloride has quite a large grain structure but it might be finer than yours and that would throw off the weight per volume. It's not rocket science though, I suppose.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
mgo737
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I know what the adjustments are. I just feel the online calculator would be the absolute bomb if it converted grams to teaspoons on a separate line automatically...

This page has the conversion factors:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-4.html

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Bobby M and everyone else who helped, I just had my first bottle of the first beer I brewed using salts. It was far and away the best beer I ever brewed! I previously was stupidly using RO water with no adjustments and getting mediocre to bad beer. Thanks all!

Quick Reply