Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water for lagers/pils suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Toadsticker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Water for lagers/pils suggestions

My local water is drawn from a limestone aquifer, with a consistent, well buffered Ph of 8.4. PERFECT for African cichlids, beer not so much. I don't even try making ales with it. My current realistic choices are spring water, distilled, or Primo water. Which would you suggest for pils?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You may be better off with using either distilled or RO water and adding a little calcium chloride to boost the calcium level. The recommendations of the Water Primer in this forum are very applicable for the beer style you are contemplating.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 664 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 19

See if you can find out how much stuff Primo puts in their water. I can't find an analysis on their website but found out that they add sodium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate and calcium chloride. If the amounts are very minimal then you might be able to use that. If not the distilled would be the best bet for Bohemian Pils. Some German Pils is made with harder water but the Boh Pils is definitely made with soft (though there are some hard water breweries in Bohemia too) and its easy to prepare suitable water for it from RO or DI.

Quick Reply