Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water - I think I was doing it wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Also, I saw you mention treating sparge water. Are you also using RO water for that?
Yes I am.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Hasn't been answered: The base/crystal/roasted/acid is absolutely critical. They all affect PH in different ways. I use gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salt), and liquid acid for my additions. The first three give me the mineral profile I want, and the last one helps with PH.

PS, I also use glacier water from the kiosk for my brews and build it up with my mineral additions. Less sulfate for lighter beers/lagers, more for IPAs sounds like you have the basics though...

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 86 batches and counting (as of 7/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
Yes I am.
Perhaps you could describe the "bitter/astringent flavor" a bit better? Normally any IPA i've done will get a bit less bitter/astringent over time.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
afr0byte
Recipes 

Also, depending on the acidity level of Great Western, you might need acid. With Rahr and that grain bill / water profile you'd probably be OK pH-wise. You say your blonde tastes good though...which presumably has as a similar grain bill. How clear is your IPA?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
Hasn't been answered: The base/crystal/roasted/acid is absolutely critical.
I figured as much, but how do I know how to categorize certain malts? Like victory, biscuit, Special B, or carapils?

Quote:
They all affect PH in different ways. I use gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salt), and liquid acid for my additions. The first three give me the mineral profile I want, and the last one helps with PH.
I don't use CaCl. Maybe I need to add that to my process.

Quote:
PS, I also use glacier water from the kiosk for my brews and build it up with my mineral additions. Less sulfate for lighter beers/lagers, more for IPAs sounds like you have the basics though...
That's pretty much what I do but I never messed with pH because I don't have a reliable method for measuring it.

Quote:
Perhaps you could describe the "bitter/astringent flavor" a bit better? Normally any IPA i've done will get a bit less bitter/astringent over time.
It tasted great out of the fermenter. I dry-hopped it in the keg and tasted it a few days later. The dry hops were really pronounced and while it was warm and flat, it tasted balanced with good hop flavor/aroma. After a few more days the bitterness and flavor faded somewhat, and the beer took on a malty-sweet flavor, like not enough bittering hops were used (I used 1.4 oz of Summit @60 min).

Right now, it's gross. No hop flavor or aroma to speak of. It smells harsh and maybe a little medicinal. It leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth. It kinda tastes like beer but it's nothing I would want to drink.

This flavor is why I started looking at water chemistry to begin with. I didn't like the way my IPAs were coming out. I've spent a lot of time trying to get this part of the process down and it's very frustrating to still have problems like this 30+ batches out.

Quote:
Also, depending on the acidity level of Great Western, you might need acid. With Rahr and that grain bill / water profile you'd probably be OK pH-wise. You say your blonde tastes good though...which presumably has as a similar grain bill. How clear is your IPA?
The IPA was very clear before I dry-hopped it. Now it's a little cloudy but pretty much in line with a commercial dry-hopped unfiltered IPA.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here's the recipe:

5.4 gallons post-boil

Mash with 4.7 gallons of RO water
3.2g MgSO4
6.2g CaSO4
Mashed @147.7 for 1:45
Sparge with 4.4 gallons of RO water
(neglected to note whether I treated the sparge water or what I treated it with)

14 lbs GW 2-row
8 oz Biscuit malt
8 oz Carapils

83.9% efficiency

1.4 oz 14.2% AA Summit pellets at 60 min
1.0 oz 12.7% AA Mosaic pellets at 15 min
1.0 oz 12.7% AA Mosaic pellets at 1 min

OG 1.078

Dry hop with 1.0 oz Mosaic

FG 1.015

Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
It tasted great out of the fermenter. I dry-hopped it in the keg and tasted it a few days later. The dry hops were really pronounced and while it was warm and flat, it tasted balanced with good hop flavor/aroma. After a few more days the bitterness and flavor faded somewhat, and the beer took on a malty-sweet flavor, like not enough bittering hops were used (I used 1.4 oz of Summit @60 min).
Hmm, I notice that at a lower carbonation level my bitter beers become a bit more malty temporarily. I don't know if "a few days later" means partially carbed in your case, though.

Quote:
Right now, it's gross. No hop flavor or aroma to speak of. It smells harsh and maybe a little medicinal. It leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth. It kinda tastes like beer but it's nothing I would want to drink.

This flavor is why I started looking at water chemistry to begin with. I didn't like the way my IPAs were coming out. I've spent a lot of time trying to get this part of the process down and it's very frustrating to still have problems like this 30+ batches out.
It certainly seems like a tough thing to diagnose. The only thing I can think of, since you mention medicinal, is maybe an infection from reusing a hop bag, or perhaps you're leaching some chlorine from a PVC hose used in racking, and the dry hopped beers, which would have more polyphenols to bind to, are causing the medicinal flavor to become apparent.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I could also describe the flavor as slightly citrusy in aroma and tart/sour in flavor, but not in a sour-beer way. It doesn't taste anything like a sour or infected beer.

I dry-hopped with a stainless steel mesh container.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
I could also describe the flavor as slightly citrusy in aroma and tart/sour in flavor, but not in a sour-beer way. It doesn't taste anything like a sour or infected beer.

I dry-hopped with a stainless steel mesh container.
The tart/sour could be from the magnesium. I'd leave out the epsom salts for sure.

A mash pH from that grain bill of 5.3 sounds perfect. In that water sheet above, with 278 ppm TDS, where did that figure come from?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
LovesIPA
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The tart/sour could be from the magnesium. I'd leave out the epsom salts for sure.
It supposedly gave me 18ppm of Mg in the mash water, which is right in line with what Palmer recommends. I have another question in this forum about Palmer vs. Bru'N Water on "ideal" bicarbonate level too.

Do I really not need any Mg?

Quote:
A mash pH from that grain bill of 5.3 sounds perfect. In that water sheet above, with 278 ppm TDS, where did that figure come from?
That figure came from the Bru'N Water spreadsheet.

Quick Reply