Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Malt is a volcano. Epsom is a cow fart. Beneficial or not, it's pretty insignificant.

I brew wonderfully flocculated crystal clear beer with 0 added Mg. Tally me up.

PS -- AJ is not a Palmer Reader. He's a source.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPushrods View Post
Malt is a volcano. Epsom is a cow fart. Beneficial or not, it's pretty insignificant.

I brew wonderfully flocculated crystal clear beer with 0 added Mg. Tally me up.

PS -- AJ is not a Palmer Reader. He's a source.
Well, I never thought of it as volcano vs "cow fart" so that made me laugh.

I never add magnesium to my RO water. Some do, but I don't like the strongly bitter/sour flavor I pick up in it that AJ deLange described. A little won't hurt or be perceptible, but there is also no benefit. As AJ mentioned (and so did Palmer), malt has plenty of magnesium on its own.

And as far as the last line about AJ being a source for Palmer, I forgot to mention to AJ that I spoke to Palmer about the new book, and does give a ton of credit to you. He said it should be out in Octoberish? He said he was checking over the technical descriptions under the photos (forgot what he called that).

Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I asked the question, why not? It's been answered....evidently the fart can be tasted by some.

I don't add it either...but I don't brew exclusively with RO water.

Green Bay Packers - 13 Time World Champions

Old 08-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 515 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
He said he was checking over the technical descriptions under the photos (forgot what he called that).
I'll tell you what I call it, one big PITA! But it's got to be done. Here if you make a mistake you can go back and edit the post. With a book you can't. No author wants to be responsible for publishing an error and I'm sure John and Colin (and the copy editors) have gone over it with a fine tooth comb. Not to mention that Martin and I scoured it for technical solidity. But we all know that some goofs are going to slip through. We've certainly all seen them in other technical (and non technical) books.

WRT to the subject at hand: In the final analysis the decision to use epsom salts and how much should be arrived at in the same way as the decisions that set the quantities of NaCl, CaCl2 and CaSO4 and that is by experimenting with it. If you brew a beer with none and have, or fancy you have, flocculation problems and then brew a beer with some and they are ameliorated, or you fancy they are, then make a tentative decision to use it. Then comparatively taste the beers. I'd live with slightly slower flocculation (I'm a lager brewer primarily) for the sake of better tasting beer. For the record, I can't say I noticed any detriment in flocculation or any other when I started brewing with magnesium free water. But neithermore have I tried dosing any magnesium into my RO beers to see if they are improved. Based on what I know and my experience has shown there wouldn't be much point but only a series of batches exploring this variable would tell for sure.

Quick Reply