Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water Confusion - Help, Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
tonyolympia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

So... I'm back. Working with the water profile in the OP, and following the baseline in the primer (i.e., diluting 1:1 with RO and adding 1 gram of calcium chloride per gallon of water treated), I arrive at the following adjusted profile:

calcium 78.4
magnesium 4
sodium 7.5
sulfate 3.5
chloride 131.5
bicarbonate 44.1
total hardness 213
alkalinity 36
RA -22

Based on the recommendations in Bru'n Water, using this profile for a Belgian Tripel, I would acidify the sparge with .8 ml of an 88% solution of lactic acid. Depending on what my LHBS has, I may go with acidulated malt, as recommended in the primer.

However, I feel a little concerned about the chloride level in the adjusted profile. Is 131.5 ppm too high? The accepted range is stated as 10 - 100 ppm. Do I misunderstand the amount of calcium chloride to add, based on the primer? I.e., 1 teaspoon, or 5 grams, per 5 gallons of water treated? In my case, that works out to 7.3 grams, for a total of 7.3 gallons mash and sparge water. (Not to complicate things, but I would actually be adding 3/4 teaspoons per 5 gallons, because I'm going to use the "pickle crisp" anhydrous prills. But as I understand it, the ppm added should be roughly the same, based on a prior post by ajdelange.)

If I follow the primer's recommendation for soft water beers (i.e Pils, Helles), and cut the calcium chloride addition in half, that leaves my calcium at 43.2 ppm, and chloride at 69 ppm. Is that the way to go for a tripel?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There is a 'too high' for chloride but I don't know what it is. Above 200 ppm it is supposed to give a 'pasty' flavor to beer. Chloride is a big benefit for beer flavor and texture up to a point. I'd be more comfortable using less.

There are some questions about what you are actually buying when you buy something labeled 'calcium chloride'. It is sold as the anhydride, as the dihydrate and as 'flake' which I think must be a mix of different hydration levels. I've never seen anything in the LHBS labeled with water of hydration. The only way to know is to test the stuff. All forms pick up water from the air and all will eventually end up as soup if exposed to it.

Apparently some Trippels are brewed with hard water and some with soft. I think your idea is a good one. That's what I'd do.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange
There is a 'too high' for chloride but I don't know what it is. Above 200 ppm it is supposed to give a 'pasty' flavor to beer. Chloride is a big benefit for beer flavor and texture up to a point. I'd be more comfortable using less.

There are some questions about what you are actually buying when you buy something labeled 'calcium chloride'. It is sold as the anhydride, as the dihydrate and as 'flake' which I think must be a mix of different hydration levels. I've never seen anything in the LHBS labeled with water of hydration. The only way to know is to test the stuff. All forms pick up water from the air and all will eventually end up as soup if exposed to it.

Apparently some Trippels are brewed with hard water and some with soft. I think your idea is a good one. That's what I'd do.
So... as a first attempt, would you go with the baseline, 5 grams of cacl per 5 gallons treated, or half that amount, as in "soft water" beers? Thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
ajdelange
Recipes 

Half.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange
Half.
Thanks, AJ. I've spent a lot of time reading the primer and other threads you have participated in on water chemistry, and it awes me how much patience and attention you have demonstrated for all these questions, from beginner to advanced. Your experience and insight are a real asset to us all.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
ajdelange
Recipes 

Thank you!

Quick Reply