Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > water chemistry - adjust top-up water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
cactusgarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Get your overall target based on how much water you're using to mash and top-off with. Add salts to the mash to get your pH in order. Then add the remainder (target amount - mash amount) into the boil. The idea is that since you'd be topping off, by the boil you've added your target amount of salts for 5.5gal into the fermenter.

Ions above what your target is (before diluting with top-off water) in the kettle should have no adverse affects.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
Get your overall target based on how much water you're using to mash and top-off with. Add salts to the mash to get your pH in order. Then add the remainder (target amount - mash amount) into the boil. The idea is that since you'd be topping off, by the boil you've added your target amount of salts for 5.5gal into the fermenter.

Ions above what your target is (before diluting with top-off water) in the kettle should have no adverse affects.
Thanks. This helps a lot. Wish me luck with my first water adjusted brewing session!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #13
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's not as bad as people make it sound. If you plug the numbers into a spreadsheet and you have your water analysis you will no longer need to worry about mash pH.

I *typically* adjust the mash only, and treat the sparge water with phosphoric acid to neutralize the bicarbonate. The only time I treat the whole ball of wax is if I am aiming for a particular water profile (eg. London, Antwerp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply