Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > water change from source to tap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default water change from source to tap?

Should I expect the water chemistry to change from the source to my tap? I recently received a water report that gives me the mineral breakdown of the treated water, but what happens to it after it leaves the treatment facility?

This is really a question of curiosity - I have no empirical evidence to think it does change, but it does seem to me that some changes could be expected given the amount of time the water sits in various underground pipes.

Are there changes that are more likely? Or is it negligible? I'm actually half-tempted to get my tap water analyzed to see if there is a difference, just to have some empirical data (why, yes, I am a scientist).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
cactusgarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would guess the only real factor that significantly affects your tap for your purposes, assuming "normal" city plumbing, is whether you run your source water thru a water softener prior to the output.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply