Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Is water that big of a deal in all grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
coypoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think initially getting the AG process down is more important than understanding the water chemistry. If you can drink your tap water, then you can brew with it. Once you are comfortable with brewing, then you can start diving into the water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
I think initially getting the AG process down is more important than understanding the water chemistry. If you can drink your tap water, then you can brew with it. Once you are comfortable with brewing, then you can start diving into the water
To a point. If you don't understand the water chemistry you don't really understand the results. You may, or may not, get satisfactory results. You could end up trying to correct something in your process when it is the water. That is what I like about AJ's sticky. It is a nice, easy starting point and not really much added effort to an all grain brew. I'm simply in the process of eliminating negatives in my beers. The water primer has helped immensely.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Water Chemistry Primer is a really good and simple starting point. Just follow those guidelines for making your first brew, then read about the water chemistry and absorb what you can. You can tweak as needed, but AJ really has put together the most basic guidelines for starting with RO water that covers a wide variety of styles.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
My water tastes good; but, due to it's very high alkalinity, it makes terrible beer. Thanks to ajdelange's water tips; I am finally making great beer.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Water is a big deal if it is far out of range for the type of beer you're trying to brew. The hard thing is knowing when that situation exists. An example would be trying to brew a 2 SRM lambic with highly alkaline water. How about a Munich Helles using water with 300ppm Sulfate? You might brew with your tap water and it's fine but it really is a regional thing. It would be best to find someone who has water data for your system but in the meantime, go ahead and give it a shot with the water you have (unless it runs through a water softener).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
bctdi
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One of the biggest things you can do is filter out the chlorine or chloramine from your water if you can taste it.I went for the longest time thinking my water tasted "normal" until I got a charcoal filter installed....from that point forward, my coffee tasted better, my water tasted better, and my beer tasted better....I just didn`t realize I was tasting it until it was gone. As far as the mineral adjustments, I would look into what is in your water first to see where you stand (is your water soft? hard? or somewhere in between?)...then only adjust the water if you have your process down and you know you have a solid recipe , but something still is off a little about the beer. Water can be complicated to adjust properly and you don`t want to start messing with the water if you still don`t have your process down or if you may have a recipe issue. That being said I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head with water adjustments can mean the difference between a good beer and a great one.

Quick Reply