Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water additions for a milk stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Water additions for a milk stout

I've been adjusting my water profile for the last 5-6 batches I've brewed. I start with RO water and add gypsum, CaCl, and phosphoric acid to get my mash pH correct. I don't add additions to my sparge water, but rather add those additions at the start of the boil. All of these batches have been light colored with almost no crystal or roasted grains. For the milk stout that I plan to brew I'm going to add the crystal and roasted malts at vorlauf (fyi I batch sparge), as this is a technique I've used in previous stouts. Should I set up my water profile (in brunwater or EZWater) as if I'm brewing a light colored beer? I would think that setting it up this way would get me the correct mash pH prediction. But what about my kettle pH, and how will this affect my final beer pH? Obviously I could just add the dark grains into the mash, but I want to learn how to do it the other way. I could set up 2 water profiles: one for light colored, one for dark colored. Control the mash pH with the light colored profile and then add in the salt differences between the light and dark profiles when I start the boil. Also, anyone have a good water profile for a milk stout? Any help is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply