Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
TX-straggler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Water

Any thoughts on my water report. Should I worry about anything besides the chlorine and chloramine? Was going to rig up a water filter, probably DIY style that you see on HBT and BYO forums. Any input would be appreciated!!! Thanks

image-2872971586.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
hnycrk
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Hey man, I'm by far no expert...but I've been using this website http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/ and it been a real help as figuring out what and what not to add. All you do is start at the top and put all your baseline water info and grain info. You then can add different types of brewing salts and see how they affect your water.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
mchrispen
accidentalis.com
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Hi TX...

You can take the "Secondary Constituents" table and plug it into Bru'n Water Spreadsheet (or many of the popular spreadsheets or online tools) and get some ideas on predicted Mash pH etc... And any adjustments you may wish to make from a style perspective. Before you worry too much about salt adjustments, get a good handle on mash pH and how to measure it, and what you should expect. Proper and consistent measurement technique is important, as is a quality pH meter.

I would still recommend a Ward Labs test. There was some major discrepancies between my water provider reports and the Lab test.

As you note, chloramines... That means Camden treatment.

Bru'n Water Walkthrough

Quick Reply