Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Very High Alkalinity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post

Yooper, as much as I love Red Green, I’m glad you got your whip back.
You made me literally LOL, Wayne. Thanks for that!

I do NOT have a pressure tank, as I run off into my HLT. I assume, from what AJ said that is why it's faster than I anticipated. Running it off into the HLT works for me quite well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #12
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 536 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes. If you use a pressure tank the pressure across the membrane is lower, mains - (osmotic + tank), than when the permeate side is open to the atmosphere, mains - (osmotic + atmoshpheric) and the flow of permeate is thus slower.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

For sure, if you don't need a pressurized water source, run the RO water into an open vessel and use a float valve to shut it off. It will improve the efficiency of the RO system.

I've got the feeling that the Citrus filter is actually a reference to a Citric Acid contact system. Citrate complexes with divalent hardness ions and keeps them from scaling so much. The acid also provides a service in reducing alkalinity and further reducing scaling potential by shifting the Langelier Index. I've seen consumer Citric Acid systems advertised on late night television. They aren't quite as bad (useless) as those magnetic hardness reducing coils or systems. The system does actually work, its just going to be expensive to keep them supplied with citric acid.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 536 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
I've got the feeling that the Citrus filter is actually a reference to a Citric Acid contact system.
I had images of a grid straining grapefruits out of a lake adjacent to a orchard. I've heard of using citric acid to clean RO systems, boilers and water softeners but never of a system that injects it into the water. It's a pretty strong acid and its metal salts are pretty soluble so why not?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Yep, the citrus "filter" is really some kind of "conditioner" (Nuvah2o i think it is called). It uses a citric acid cartridge to somehow make calcium ions "clump" together in a way that makes it pass right through your pipes without forming scale, and supposedly even eliminates existing scale.

Sounds like BS to me, but I share the well with my folks and my dad's contractor buddies reported good results from this thing so I installed it this spring at pop's insistence. I've got that hard water and several hundred yards of water line so if this works it should hopefully cut down on my maintenance a little bit.

Two years ago one of my hot water heater elements burnt out- as I was replacing the lower element I poked a finger in...yep, completely full of leeched calcium carbonate chunks up to the element. Nasty, nasty stuff. If this citrus deal can prevent that then I will be quite happy...for now I drain and shop vac all my H20 heaters every spring and fall.

Quick Reply