Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Using R/O water for brewing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Tmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using R/O water for brewing.

I used Reverse Osmosis water for a vienna that was lagered about 3 weeks. I'm currently drinking it now, and it does taste good. But, of course I want to improve it. It's not very crisp and the flavors don't seem to pop out very much. Is this a result of using such soft water? No brewing salts were added to this brew. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmeister View Post
I used Reverse Osmosis water for a vienna that was lagered about 3 weeks. I'm currently drinking it now, and it does taste good. But, of course I want to improve it. It's not very crisp and the flavors don't seem to pop out very much. Is this a result of using such soft water? No brewing salts were added to this brew. Thanks for the help.
R/O water is not ideal for brewing. You need the mineral content for taste, perception of hop bitterness, and even for pH balance of the mash.

If you want to build your water to your specification, it can be great. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it. It will leave your beer more lifeless than you will really be happy with.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 RO water is ideal if you want to build your water up from scratch because you always know exactly where your starting point is. Using RO water straight up for your beer will not give you an ideal beer however. The darker the beer, the further from ideal RO water is. On top of no PH buffering capability, and no ability to make the hops or malt "pop" more in the finished beer, there are also several minerals in standard water that are beneficial to yeast health that will not be present in RO water.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think RO or distilled water can work fine for an extract batch. I'm assuming this was an all grain batch?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I think RO or distilled water can work fine for an extract batch. I'm assuming this was an all grain batch?
No doubt. Mineral content will still have an effect on the perceptibility of hop characteristics, but in terms of mash pH and characteristics, the extract manufacturer has already taken that into account. For my AG batches (and specifically my pale ales, bitters, and IPAs) I cut my tap water on a 4/7 ratio with RO (distilled water). That is specific to my tap water and will need to be adjusted for yours...then, I add the appropriate mineral additions to hit my target water profile (in this case, Mosher's Ideal Pale Ale profile). Water profile CANNOT be stressed enough. It is the #1 ingredient in ANY beer. For excellent beer, it needs to be right. I learned the hard way.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Tmeister
Recipes 

thanks for the replys, yes it is an all grain batch and I have it in a keg right now. And I'm assuming that adding brewing salts to the keg at this point is a bad idea ha ha?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts

It would be awesome if there was a reference chart listing what needs to be added to R/O water to meet the water profile of specific styles.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
It would be awesome if there was a reference chart listing what needs to be added to R/O water to meet the water profile of specific styles.
I second that, my water is so bad I almost need to strain it before drinking, if there was a list to refer to for building R/O water I would do a little happy dance for the brew gods

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 AM   #9
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
this was mentioned in another thread. i would totally donate some money to someone who came up with this chart.

it blows my mind there isn't one already.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts

We have enough brain power here on HBT to pull this off. I would be more than happy to devote some time to it. It would be ideal if someone with a chemistry background could supervise the project.

Here is a couple ideas:

Identify which styles to cover. Decide on the ideal water profile for each style. Decide on baseline R/O profile. Layout a spreadsheet with "styles" in the rows and "additives" in the columns. From there it's just doing the legwork to fill in the chart.

Maybe those who want to help on the project are given 3 styles to profile. Multiple people working on the same style would help reduce errors.

Just thinking out loud...

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Last edited by arturo7; 01-05-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Quick Reply