Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Useless water quality report

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
donshizzles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Useless water quality report

I just received my local town water quality report. Although I am new to this water analysis stuff, it seems this report is lacking in the information pertinent to brewing. NOT listed are the following.....

Calcium
Magnesium
Ammonia
Nitrite
pH
Hardness
Alkalinity

Chlorine is listed but not Chloramines so I am to assume Chloramines are not used in this part of the county?

Categories such as turbidity, barium, fluoride, boron, iron and manganese are listed. Is this a useless report or can I order a different report with better info?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Same thing happened to me, I looked on my citie's website, found and email address for the water department and sent them an email stating I was a homebrewer and including all those things above not listed. Within an hour or two I got an email back with all the numbers I needed. Most municipal water departments get contacted by homebrewers all the time, so they know what you need when you request it. In Chicago, they prolly get a call or an email from one a day...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks Revvy!!! So in relation to the above list, are there any categories I should ask for when I email them that is crucial to brewing?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Same thing happened to me, I looked on my citie's website, found and email address for the water department and sent them an email stating I was a homebrewer and including all those things above not listed. Within an hour or two I got an email back with all the numbers I needed. Most municipal water departments get contacted by homebrewers all the time, so they know what you need when you request it. In Chicago, they prolly get a call or an email from one a day...
I did the same thing and got the same quick results. You might also check with some local brewers who may have sent out to Wards for a water check. You might be surprised by the different results. I have a copy of the October 2010 city report and a copy of the January 2011 Wards report and I plan on sending my water to Wards in April. I will find someone local to get a Wards check in July, and when the city checks again this October we will have 5 data points in 1 year.

Quick Reply