UGGGG! water chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick_haus

Reaction score
Ive read and read abiout this and still dont understand it too well. My house water supply is imparting a chloride taste in my beer. It is also sometimes slightly brown in color....yuck!

I have another supply source available to me, and its straight from the aquafer. Can this water be used successfully without excessive treatment? Possibly simply dilute it with RO? I can adjust the PHh in the mash, but what about the other constituants?

View attachment Source Water Geo.pdf

wow, you're sulfate level is huge. Way too big. I would dilute 50/50 AT LEAST for hoppy beers. For maltier or lighter styles, you may as well start with RO water and build it up.

Are you sure you're tasting ChlorIDE and not ChlorINE? Those are 2 very different things, and your chlroride levels don't look too bad. Chlorine is not listed on the report, but if it's city water, you will certainly have some. Use 1 campden tablet per 20 gallons to kill it.

Not sure what would make it brown... does your water come out of the faucet brown? maybe your pipes are rusting...

The Geochem is not the water that comes out brown sometimes, its from the well water from a seperate source (work). The chloride taste was identified by a beer judge, so I believe him on that one. The chloride was detected from the same water that is sometimes brown.

I am trying to figure out if I can use the water from the water report to brew with.

okay, got it. Sorry about that.

Yep, I'd say you'll need some acid. but it looks like you know what you're doing there.

Yes, it could work great. I was actually wrong about Sulfate levels in my first post. It actually would work very well as-is for hoppy beers. For maltier beers, cut it in half with RO water from the grocery store and build the calcium and chloride back up with... um.. calcium chloride. lol :)

Back