DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Ooh, I remember that badboy from a course on interior climate about a year ago. (which nosed a bit on heat exchangers)

But I believe we more or less wrote the same, although you had a good explanation as to why it is that way
"You could blast a ridiculous amount of water through the cooler with only a slight difference in temperature and still cool it more than a lower flow with a higher temperature difference."

To clarify, the temperature difference referred to is between water going in and out of cooler. Not the one between coolant and wort.

More specifically what I was wondering was if you had any thoughts about making those measurements mentioned above and comparing the results?
I started to try and elaborate here but I lost track, not sure what you'd get out of comparing that in the end. But jaginger seemed to like the idea.
You could compare chiller efficiencies that way, but couldn't you basically do the same just by measuring the temperature of a known quantity of wort or water and see how fast the temperature drops? Assuming you don't care how much water you use for cooling, the rate of temp. drop of the wort is really all you care about. Maybe I don't understand just what you want to measure?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #42
Shift
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
but couldn't you basically do the same just by measuring the temperature of a known quantity of wort or water and see how fast the temperature drops?
That's what I ended up with when I felt i had thought everything through.
I guess there's a reason why you see posts like "I cool a 5 gal batch in 10 mins with xx feet of tubing"
instead of "i have 4000 watts of cooling "

Oh well, food for thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply