Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Is there a reason to make starters in a flask?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't care to boil in a flask, with the risk of a wort volcano in your face. I use this exclusively. It's a half a gallon and works with a stir bar. If you can't transfer wort from a pot to a sterilized vessel without fear of infection, you can't make beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
JoeJones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How big are the stir bars everyone is using? I've got one that is about one and half or two inches long and pretty fat. I do realize I'm going to get reamed for that sentence. Maybe the size of the stir bar increases the stability.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

IMLE, it appears that the stirbar needs to be about the same length as the distance between the magnets in the stirplate. Otherwise one magnet in the stirplate tends to pull the stirbar off-center. I use the stirbar included with the stirplates.com stirplate (1-5/8" long when tergid) but I tried longer stirbars and they didn't work as well.

Here's something from the stirplates.com FAQ:

Quote:
Q: I already tried making my own stir plate and it just never worked right. It would always stop or throw the stir bar. How do I know yours will be any better?
A: Good question. First, mine is built around the LM317 adjustable voltage regulator so it supplies very consistent voltage to the motor. Second, I align the drive magnet and test each stir plate with a 2L flask before shipping. Third, I limit the top speed of the motor to help reduce thrown stir bars. I also encourage you to check out my eBay feedback rating and what others have said there and on the brewing forums.
Don't keep it at high speed, just enough to make a little vortex is all it takes.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJones View Post
How big are the stir bars everyone is using? I've got one that is about one and half or two inches long and pretty fat. I do realize I'm going to get reamed for that sentence. Maybe the size of the stir bar increases the stability.
No there is a quote for ya.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
qvantamon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To you people saying that a flask can be used to boil wort - can you put it directly on top of the (electric) stove element? Or do you need a thick aluminum plate, or can it only be done on open flame?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #16
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would put it in a pan of some sort to assist in more even heat distribution. i use a 316 ss mesh under my flasks on my gas stove... lab practice.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #17
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If you can't transfer wort from a pot to a sterilized vessel without fear of infection, you can't make beer.
+1
Personally, I'd be just fine if "sterilized" was automatically converted by the forum software to "sanitized", since most everyone really means sanitized.
Yep, thats right, boiling != sterilized

Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I suppose I could pressure cook my flask and wort to sterilize, but I think boiling is close enough, I don't acid wash the yeast either. It's less cleanup for me to just boil in the flask, I use a little foam control so I don't get boil-overs.

Or just buy this
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/14345/emailid/133

interesting $2.00 semi-stirplate.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
If you can't transfer wort from a pot to a sterilized vessel without fear of infection, you can't make beer.
For me that's not it at all, I don't like getting any more things dirty and having to clean up any more than is absolutely necessary!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I don't think a flask is necessary, but it's the right tool for the job. Its like you can use a crescent wrench or a pair of pliers to loosen a nut, but I prefer to use a crescent wrench.

I think the Erlenmeyer flask has several features that make it best suited for growing up bugs. Most have all ready been mentioned. Borosilicate can be heated and cooled rapidly, and the flat bottom works best with a stir bar. Some other things that have not been mentioned is that the wide base of the flask provides a larger surface area and in turn better O2 exchange. Another benefit is that with a small opening dust carrying contaminates have less of a chance to fall in to the flask when you have it open.

I like them too, because I'm lucky and have access to an autoclave here at work (I'm a lab rat). I would not put a growler in the autoclave.

Quick Reply