The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Is there ever any need to treat sparge water.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
p-nut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Is there ever any need to treat sparge water.

Is there ever a case where I should treat my sparge water. My water is very soft and I have never treated my sparge water. I have made adjustments to the mash water with great success.

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 55
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.09
Cations / Anions, me/L 0.7 / 0.8
ppm
Na 14
K < 1
Ca 1
Mg < 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 3
SO4-S 1
Cl 4
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 37
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 30

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On paper, to be really authentic to the water profiles of brewers of the world, sparge water should be treated. But I will be honest with you and tell you I have never treated my sparge water. Your starting to split hairs at this point. I have a friend who eyeballs his brewing salts (of which he only uses 3, sea salt, chalk and gypsum) and he frequently hits 40+ scores in competitions. I'm not saying water treatment isn't important, but that you don't need to be perfect with that aspect of brewing to pull off fantastic beers. My two cents.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

No, not from the point of view of worrying about husk tannin extraction. I suppose if you were trying to emulate say, Dortmunder, and you went to the trouble to synthesize Dortmunder water for your mash I suppose you might argue that as Dortmunder brewers would be sparging with that same water you ought to sparge with that water too. Other than that, IMO, the answer is "no".

Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

That's pretty awesome water. Don't touch it for sparging and your pH should be good at the end of sparging as long as your mash pH was good (5.5 or lower?). If you're going for a profile, make up for the sparge water in the kettle.

<and then AJ chimes in with accurate or more accurate advice>

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
p-nut
Recipes 

So I'm brewing tonight and my scales are broken. I usually heat up 15 gallons in my HLT. Can just dose that with 3 tsp of CaCl2 to get the 1 gram per gallon rate AJ has recommended as a baseline? I know you are suppose to treat the mash and not the mash water, but i remember reading some discussion of CaCl2 having the ability to dissolve in water.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
p-nut
Recipes 

I forgot to mention, I will be treating the mash with lactic acid to adjust for pH. I just want to add the CaCl2 to the HLT before dough-in. I will add the lactic acid to the mash if needed.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nut View Post
So I'm brewing tonight and my scales are broken. I usually heat up 15 gallons in my HLT. Can just dose that with 3 tsp of CaCl2 to get the 1 gram per gallon rate AJ has recommended as a baseline?
YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nut View Post
I know you are suppose to treat the mash and not the mash water, but i remember reading some discussion of CaCl2 having the ability to dissolve in water.
You are supposed to treat the water. The exception would be where you have measured mash pH and found it too be too low or too high. In the the former case you would add chalk or lime to the mash. In the latter, acid.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
p-nut
Recipes 

AJ thanks for all the great information you have provided us with. It has been extremely helpful and I think my beers are starting to show it!

Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Great! That's what we are shooting for.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
No, not from the point of view of worrying about husk tannin extraction. I suppose if you were trying to emulate say, Dortmunder, and you went to the trouble to synthesize Dortmunder water for your mash I suppose you might argue that as Dortmunder brewers would be sparging with that same water you ought to sparge with that water too. Other than that, IMO, the answer is "no".
Well, from one AJ to another, I find that with my brewing practices, it does help to treat the sparge water.
I fly sparge, and stop the sparge either when I have collected the required pre-boil volume, or when the gravity readings of the sparge get down to 2.5 brix (1.010). I realize that taking the pH of the runnings would be more accurate, but this takes time to cool the sample, whereas the refractometer with ATC allows be to take a nearly instantaneous reading and this saves me a lot of time.
My water is pretty soft, and has a pH of about 7.5 (averaged over the year).
If I treat my sparge water (using gypsum (I like hoppy pale ales)), I reduce the sparge water pH from 7.5 to 6.5, and if I stop the sparge at 2.5 brix, the pH of the final runnings is about 5.7
Before I had a pH meter, I still used to stop the sparge at 2.5 brix, but with untreated sparge water I used to get excessive tannin extraction. (I don't know what the pH of the final runnings was, but my taste buds could certainly detect the tannins).

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply