Thanks Bru'n Water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlinyTheMiddleAged

Reaction score
Just a post to say how satisfied I am with the Bru'n Water workbook!

I brewed two small batches this past weekend - one using the primer recommended additions of 1 teaspoon each of gypsum and calcium chloride for every five gallons of distilled water. The second batch used an identical grain bill but I targeted Tasty McDole's IPA profile.

The primer additions and grain bill yielded a strike pH of 5.39. I used a small addition of sodium bicarbonate with Tasty's additions to hit a predicted pH of 5.39 with the same grain bill.

I heated both volumes of strike water, added my salts, and doughed in. I then calibrated my pH meter and measured the actual pH of both mashes (cooled to almost room temp) - both read 5.39. Coincidence? Probably given that my meter is not THAT accurate and Bru'n Water estimates malt acidity based on grain color. But, close enough for me!

Nice job, Martin! Very slick piece of work and much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I donated as well. But given the performance I have seen, I feel like I under-donated. I'll probably go back and donate again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just now started playing with it based off posts i've seen on here... Very cool so far, but it'll take me some more time with it to figure everything out. I'm currently using my own spreadsheets and my own chemistry lab for beer water concerns.... ;)

Back