Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Tannin Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #31
scottyg354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/bre...primer-198460/

Have you used these guidelines. I am having some flavor issues with the water in my area and recently bought a RO system. I just brewed an IPA with these guidelines and I am hoping for the best results. I used the British profile for the IPA I brewed and I am using the light beer profile for a Helles and the Burton profile for a Scottish 70 Schilling I am brewing this weekend.

For the IPA the PH wound up going a little low 5.1, I think its because I used a pound of crystal on top of the acidulated malt, but thats a hell of a lot better than the 6.1 I was getting from the local bottled water.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #32
pd230soi
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been having problems with a taste I could not put my finger on. I am getting ready to move so I have not been brewing for a while, but I was beginning to think I was using too much water (as in volume) during my sparge.

Are your volumes correct?

Somewhere I had read that could cause astringency... maybe I'm all wet....

Old 06-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
RoadKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much gypsum did you add? When I first started messing with my water, (which is very soft) I tried "balancing" the sulfate and chloride ratios for different styles and quickly found out I do not like sulfates in my beer.
To me it left a strange taste on the back of my tongue. You can try adding a little gypsum to a glass beer you like and see if you get the type "off" taste.
Just my .02

Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
How much gypsum did you add? When I first started messing with my water, (which is very soft) I tried "balancing" the sulfate and chloride ratios for different styles and quickly found out I do not like sulfates in my beer.
To me it left a strange taste on the back of my tongue. You can try adding a little gypsum to a glass beer you like and see if you get the type "off" taste.
Just my .02
Do add it in the same proportion as used in brewing water. For a glass of water, that probably means are few granules and not a tsp.

Be aware that the sulfate/chloride ratio is meaningless if the total magnitude of those ions isn't taken into account. You can't just add gypsum to a water with high chlorides in a quest to create a proper ratio and expect a good result.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
Magic8Ball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/bre...primer-198460/

Have you used these guidelines. I am having some flavor issues with the water in my area and recently bought a RO system. I just brewed an IPA with these guidelines and I am hoping for the best results. I used the British profile for the IPA I brewed and I am using the light beer profile for a Helles and the Burton profile for a Scottish 70 Schilling I am brewing this weekend.

For the IPA the PH wound up going a little low 5.1, I think its because I used a pound of crystal on top of the acidulated malt, but thats a hell of a lot better than the 6.1 I was getting from the local bottled water.
I have used yoppers guidelines, its good advice albeit simplified. Never to leave good enough alone, I now use the Walmart RO dispenser water along with salt additions called for by the Saq's water chem spreadsheet.
The night before brewday I make up all water needed with the salt additions to ensure they are dissolved. Its easy fast and has worked great for the last year and half.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #36
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry View Post
Just posting a reply to wathc this thread
Just an off topic commend to your post. If you click thread tools at the top of the thread you can subscribe without posting.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #37
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, it's been a couple months since my original post and I thought I would give everyone an update. Previously I was using all RO water with salt additions in the mash only. I followed Martin's advice on the last few batches and used 50% RO water and 50% tap water. I added equal amounts of Gypsum and calcium chloride to get the Ca above 50 ppm. All water for mash and sparge was mixed in one HLT this time so mash and sparge water were the same. I used 3 ml lactic acid in the mash and ended up with a mash pH of 5.3 (calibrated pH meter). I added 1 ml of lactic acid to the sparge water to get a pH of 5.8. The first batch with this new technique is now about 5 weeks in the keg. The tannin flavor seems to be much better, but still slightly detectable. For my next bew, I increased the gap on my mill from 0.85 mm (0.0335 in) to 0.9 mm (0.0354 in) to see if that helps.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #38
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
Well, it's been a couple months since my original post and I thought I would give everyone an update. Previously I was using all RO water with salt additions in the mash only. I followed Martin's advice on the last few batches and used 50% RO water and 50% tap water. I added equal amounts of Gypsum and calcium chloride to get the Ca above 50 ppm. All water for mash and sparge was mixed in one HLT this time so mash and sparge water were the same. I used 3 ml lactic acid in the mash and ended up with a mash pH of 5.3 (calibrated pH meter). I added 1 ml of lactic acid to the sparge water to get a pH of 5.8. The first batch with this new technique is now about 5 weeks in the keg. The tannin flavor seems to be much better, but still slightly detectable. For my next bew, I increased the gap on my mill from 0.85 mm (0.0335 in) to 0.9 mm (0.0354 in) to see if that helps.
The next batch, I'd suggest sparging with 100% RO water. That is what worked perfectly for me, and it's worth a try!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #39
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Pardon my ignorance but what does "tannin" taste like. I've always thought of it as more of a mouth feel thing but read about possible astringent flavors etc... ie: I add black tea to my cider for tannins to give it more body and to take the edge off the tartness when it's consumed young.

Right now I'm thinking astringent bitter... maybe like burnt coffee. Am I on the right track?

Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The next batch, I'd suggest sparging with 100% RO water. That is what worked perfectly for me, and it's worth a try!
That's what I had been doing all along. I was using all RO for mash and sparge with salts in mash only. I switched to 50% RO and 50% tap with salts in both mash and sparge and acidified sparge. That's when I noticed some improvement. Maybe I should try all RO, but with salts mixed evenly between mash and sparge. Is that what you are suggesting? Thanks for your input. I may try that next time I brew.

Quick Reply