Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Tannin Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
Guidry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The taste I get is a bitter aftertaste.....Maybe 3 to 4 seconds after swallowing. If you've ever eaten boiled shrimp and accidentally gotten a good taste of the shell, thats what I'm getting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #22
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry View Post
The taste I get is a bitter aftertaste.....Maybe 3 to 4 seconds after swallowing. If you've ever eaten boiled shrimp and accidentally gotten a good taste of the shell, thats what I'm getting.
That doesn't sound like tannin.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
Cos, are other people noticing the same flavor that your are? Perhaps you are just being too critical of your beer. Or maybe you are super sensitive to tannins (assuming that's what you are tasting).
I'm the only one who has tried these particular beers. Others I have maded in the past did not have this issue. I may be overly sensitive to it, but I can definately tell it's there.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Does anyone else wonder if it's really tannins when it's described as a tannin "flavor"? Tannins are a mouthfeel, not a flavor.
Denny, not sure if it is a mouthfeel or a flavor, but it's definately not bitterness. I am picking it up in my Helles and less so in my IPA. I think the bitterness in the IPA might be masking it a little but it still comes through. I'm not sure exactly what it is and I'm open to suggestions. Tannins are described as what you get when sucking on a tea bag. That's about the closest description I could come up with, but much less intense than an actual tea bag. The beers also remain hazy for a couple months. Not sure if that is related.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
Denny has a good point. Assertive bittering can be misconstrued as tannin on an inexperienced palate. Polyphenols from a strong hopping regime can also produce a tannin-like flavor and mouthfeel. There are husk-derived and hop-derived components that can have some similarity in finished beer
It's definately not hop related. I get it in my Helles lager recipe from Jamil's BCS book. To me, the most likely explaination is the one you had on RO sparge water and osmotic pressure releasing tannins. We'll soon see if that's it.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
It's definately not hop related. I get it in my Helles lager recipe from Jamil's BCS book.
It's not just what kind of hops you use, but what kind of hops you use. What I mean is that old, stale, oxidized, and/or freezer-burned hops can produce numerous off flavors. For instance, alpha acids are diminished while the astringent, sour aspects of beta acids are intensified as hops oxidize. Improper handling and storage of hops can very easily create and/or intensify the problem you're describing.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
Denny, not sure if it is a mouthfeel or a flavor, but it's definately not bitterness. I am picking it up in my Helles and less so in my IPA. I think the bitterness in the IPA might be masking it a little but it still comes through. I'm not sure exactly what it is and I'm open to suggestions. Tannins are described as what you get when sucking on a tea bag. That's about the closest description I could come up with, but much less intense than an actual tea bag. The beers also remain hazy for a couple months. Not sure if that is related.
Are you getting good hot and cold breaks?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hops are pellets from Yakima Valley hops and Northern Brewer. All seem very fresh and stored in vacume sealed bags in freezer. Great hot and cold break. left about a gallon of break material in kettle and used only clear wort after 40 minutes of settling.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
SamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry View Post
to me this description fits very good with the use of RO water with low level of salt adiction, or cl/SO4 ratio too hight with very soft water

Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have very soft tap water. Some say it appears to be softened, possibly by municipality. Anyway, I have tried dilution and additions of gypsum and CaCl2 per Bru n Water. Still get some off flavor. Next step, all RO with additions.

Quick Reply