The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Suitable for Oktoberfest ?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Hi there !

Is this water profile suitable for brewing an Oktoberfest ?

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 16.5
Mg: 11.8
Na: 32
Cl: 10.2
SO4: 32.5
HCO3: 130
You could probably do an O'fest with that water but you will do a better one if you dilute 2:1 or 3:1 with low ion water to get the alkalinity down to 43 to 32 and the sulfate down to 11 - 8. Munich water has carbonate hardness but this was clearly removed when they brewed things like Helles and probably O'fest as well but I can't confirm that as I wasn't there. It is low in sulfate and chloride and you definitely do not want to boost the sulfate in a delicate beer like this using noble hops. You probably should boost the chloride especially as doing so you will doubtless use calcium chloride which boosts the calcium as well. Increasing the chloride is a departure from tradition but definitely improves the beer. You will also need some acid in the form of sauermalz, sauergut or lactic acid to lower the pH into the correct range.

One of the best (IMO) beers I do is an O'fest with a grist consisting of 1/3 each Pils, Vienna and Munich I. pH is controlled with sauermalz which does more than just set pH - it definitely adds flavor components of its own. Water is RO with enough calcium chloride to bring the Ca++ level to about 35 mg/L.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply