Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Suitable for Oktoberfest ?!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
hector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Last Station
Posts: 666
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Suitable for Oktoberfest ?!

Hi there !

Is this water profile suitable for brewing an Oktoberfest ?

2-row pale malt --> 0.97 lb

Munich malt --> 0.24 lb

Crystal malt 40 L --> 0.24 lb

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 16.5
Mg: 11.8
Na: 32
Cl: 10.2
SO4: 32.5
HCO3: 130

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 0.55 / 0.73
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 1.46

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 0.2 / 0
CaCl2: 0.5 / 0.2
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 104 / 65
Mg: 12 / 12
Na: 32 / 32
Cl: 127 / 80
SO4: 86 / 56
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 1.47 / 1.44

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 107
RA: 25
Estimated pH: 5.57
(room temp)


Hector

__________________
hector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,405
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

I would skip the gypsum and use dilution with RO and the addition of acid to get the pH closer to 5.4. Make sure you have about 50 ppm of calcium too.

__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
hector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Last Station
Posts: 666
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
I would skip the gypsum and use dilution with RO and the addition of acid to get the pH closer to 5.4.
In fact , I decided not to dilute with RO , so that the Magnesium concentration remains above 10 ppm .

Besides , I'd like to have a residual alkalinity between 0 and 50 . By adding acid , the RA would go to the negative side ( below zero ) .

Hector
__________________
hector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,405
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector

In fact , I decided not to dilute with RO , so that the Magnesium concentration remains above 10 ppm .

Besides , I'd like to have a residual alkalinity between 0 and 50 . By adding acid , the RA would go to the negative side ( below zero ) .

Hector
There is plenty of magnesium in the malt. I regularly have my magnesium below 10 in my starting water. Also, pH is was what is important. Why are you so concerned about having a positive ra?
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,939
Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

Maybe because Octoberfest style is typically brewed with alkaline water (up to 300 ppm), according to BJCP guidelines?


I am not sure how I feel about that grain bill. You should be using German Vienna malt. e.g. Weyermann Vienna, as the base grain usually.

__________________
weirdboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,405
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy
Maybe because Octoberfest style is typically brewed with alkaline water (up to 300 ppm), according to BJCP guidelines?

I am not sure how I feel about that grain bill. You should be using German Vienna malt. e.g. Weyermann Vienna, as the base grain usually.
yeah but you don't know how they treat the water...that is just the source water
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,939
Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

The style originates from the 1800's I seriously doubt they were treating the water then. The Reinheitsgebot pretty much precludes water treatment without some "interesting" procedures, like running the water over slaked lime.

__________________
weirdboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,405
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy
The style originates from the 1800's I seriously doubt they were treating the water then. The Reheitsgebot pretty much precludes water treatment without some "interesting" procedures, like running the water over slaked lime.
We also can't taste the beer compared to current examples.
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,939
Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

You know, I am not sure what your argument is, here. That the water isn't supposed to be alkaline?

You seem bent on trying to prove something, but I just cannot figure out what that is.

It is a well-established fact that Munich water is high in carbonates and this is a major contributing factor to styles originating there, such as Octoberfest, German Pils, and Helles.

__________________
weirdboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,405
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy
You know, I am not sure what your argument is, here. That the water isn't supposed to be alkaline?

You seem bent on trying to prove something, but I just cannot figure out what that is.
I'm saying based on my reading (Gordon Strong, AJ Delange, etc) and experience, low mineral water is ideal. Im also saying that just because they did something one way originally doesn't mean it was the best way (re: your origin of the style statement). Besides, I am just saying what I would do. Hector will probably be fine with his profile.
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools