Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Brew Science (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/)
-   -   Suitable for Oktoberfest ?! (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/suitable-oktoberfest-272150/)

hector 10-02-2011 08:31 AM

Suitable for Oktoberfest ?!
 
Hi there !

Is this water profile suitable for brewing an Oktoberfest ?

2-row pale malt --> 0.97 lb

Munich malt --> 0.24 lb

Crystal malt 40 L --> 0.24 lb

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 16.5
Mg: 11.8
Na: 32
Cl: 10.2
SO4: 32.5
HCO3: 130

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 0.55 / 0.73
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 1.46

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 0.2 / 0
CaCl2: 0.5 / 0.2
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 104 / 65
Mg: 12 / 12
Na: 32 / 32
Cl: 127 / 80
SO4: 86 / 56
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 1.47 / 1.44

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 107
RA: 25
Estimated pH: 5.57
(room temp)


Hector

afr0byte 10-02-2011 02:20 PM

I would skip the gypsum and use dilution with RO and the addition of acid to get the pH closer to 5.4. Make sure you have about 50 ppm of calcium too.

hector 10-02-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afr0byte (Post 3349736)
I would skip the gypsum and use dilution with RO and the addition of acid to get the pH closer to 5.4.

In fact , I decided not to dilute with RO , so that the Magnesium concentration remains above 10 ppm .

Besides , I'd like to have a residual alkalinity between 0 and 50 . By adding acid , the RA would go to the negative side ( below zero ) .

Hector

afr0byte 10-02-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hector

In fact , I decided not to dilute with RO , so that the Magnesium concentration remains above 10 ppm .

Besides , I'd like to have a residual alkalinity between 0 and 50 . By adding acid , the RA would go to the negative side ( below zero ) .

Hector

There is plenty of magnesium in the malt. I regularly have my magnesium below 10 in my starting water. Also, pH is was what is important. Why are you so concerned about having a positive ra?

weirdboy 10-02-2011 03:29 PM

Maybe because Octoberfest style is typically brewed with alkaline water (up to 300 ppm), according to BJCP guidelines?


I am not sure how I feel about that grain bill. You should be using German Vienna malt. e.g. Weyermann Vienna, as the base grain usually.

afr0byte 10-02-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdboy
Maybe because Octoberfest style is typically brewed with alkaline water (up to 300 ppm), according to BJCP guidelines?

I am not sure how I feel about that grain bill. You should be using German Vienna malt. e.g. Weyermann Vienna, as the base grain usually.

yeah but you don't know how they treat the water...that is just the source water

weirdboy 10-02-2011 03:44 PM

The style originates from the 1800's I seriously doubt they were treating the water then. The Reinheitsgebot pretty much precludes water treatment without some "interesting" procedures, like running the water over slaked lime.

afr0byte 10-02-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdboy
The style originates from the 1800's I seriously doubt they were treating the water then. The Reheitsgebot pretty much precludes water treatment without some "interesting" procedures, like running the water over slaked lime.

We also can't taste the beer compared to current examples.

weirdboy 10-02-2011 03:52 PM

You know, I am not sure what your argument is, here. That the water isn't supposed to be alkaline?

You seem bent on trying to prove something, but I just cannot figure out what that is.

It is a well-established fact that Munich water is high in carbonates and this is a major contributing factor to styles originating there, such as Octoberfest, German Pils, and Helles.

afr0byte 10-02-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdboy
You know, I am not sure what your argument is, here. That the water isn't supposed to be alkaline?

You seem bent on trying to prove something, but I just cannot figure out what that is.

I'm saying based on my reading (Gordon Strong, AJ Delange, etc) and experience, low mineral water is ideal. Im also saying that just because they did something one way originally doesn't mean it was the best way (re: your origin of the style statement). Besides, I am just saying what I would do. Hector will probably be fine with his profile.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.