Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Step Feeding and Dilution Equation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
seth8530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey guys, Incase any of you are still interisted I plan on getting this formulation tested with the help of my local university. I am currently talking to one of the lab directors and attempting to get an experiment running so that we can test

#1 the accuracy of the 125(delta_sg)=abv method.
and
#2 testing my extension of that equation.

What I am hoping to see is that both of the above equations give ABV within close enough of a tollerance to be called accurate.

Any thoughts or oppinions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
TheFermenteer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

In the end, if you know the total quantity of fermentables and the total volume, you should be able to take a initial and final gravity reading to determine remaining sugars and have an accurate abv, right? Obviously as you add sugar, you are adding volume which will change your gravity and your abv - which is why it is crucial to know the total volume and sugar content.

As an example, I make mead - so I know that 40lbs of honey in 12 gallons of final must will produce around 18% if fully fermented. My OG would be around 1.132. If I actually start with 30lbs in 10 gallons, my OG is around 1.120.

I use the 2/3rds rule of thumb, and at a gravity of ~1.080 (2/3rds of 1.120) I add 5lbs of honey in 1 gallon of must, bringing my total honey to 35lbs and total volume to 11 gallons. Then I do the same one more time again when the gravity has 2/3rds its reading after the addition.

Now, I haven't kept good enough records on gravity readings at these steps in the past, so I am going to do that with a batch I just started a few days ago. I would like to have the equations nailed down and in my spreadsheet for calculating when to add honey and what the gravity bump should result in....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply